Extra: The Offering Ceremony

Throughout history, the world of werewolves is one that stayed true to the laws of the survival of the fittest. In such a world where the strong hold power over the weak, it is easy to imagine the unfortunate fate of an Omega. 

According to legends from a long forgotten past, the Moon Goddess created Omegas as a blessing to the world. Though they were significantly physically weaker than Alphas and Betas, they possessed the invaluable gift of being life givers. Omegas irregardless of being male or female could bear children. Whereas only female Alphas and Betas could bare children. Alpha females particularly have much lower chances of conceiving children, and Beta females while not as low as Alpha females still have a much lower fertility rate when compared to male and female Omegas. 

Yet, throughout history, it was not uncommon for some packs to kill off Omega children as soon as they were born, as their inherent physical weaknesses were seen as a burden to the pack. The number of Omegas steadily decreased overtime, and this is when some packs without Omegas started to fall into disarray. Just like with most things in the world, nothing exists without a purpose. The deliberate killing of Omegas who were deemed to be fragile and useless completely threw off the natural balance of these packs resulting in disorder and in-fighting. Overtime, fue to the realisation that the presence of Omegas in a pack had some form of intrinsic balancing effect in the overall state of the pack, their blatant killing was reduced but their treatment was so poor it could barely equal that of a dog. Though kept alive, they weren’t really allowed to live freely as human beings and if not treated as objects of lust they were simply child bearing machines. It was safe to say that the rate and frequency in which Omegas were forced into pregnancy combined with the poor medical knowledge of that time, resulted in high deaths of the Omegas during childbirth, especially since they have a much slower healing rate to that of Alpha and Beta werewolves. 

Omegas are rare, they always have been and are still are. In a typical pack, for every thirty Alphas and every ten Betas there would be one Omega. The Moon Bridge Pack could be considered a rarity, as historically they have always had a higher number of Omegas, a factor that has helped the pack become the biggest pack in Western Europe. More Omegas in the pack typically means more children are born which means greater numbers within the pack and a greater fighting force. 

Traditionally such packs with higher numbers of Omegas have used this to their advantage by using Omegas to trade for land and other resources. The Moon Bridge Pack was no exception. And this selling of Omegas is what later on became to be known as the 'Offering Ceremony'.  As time passed and social customs shifted, this practice died out in most packs but not all as some like the Moon Bridge Pack still withhold this practice. Though the current purpose of the ceremony still remains the same in essence, the manner in which it is conducted and the meaning attached behind it  has become a beautifully gift wrapped pretence of 'pack honour', 'prestige', 'an Omega's duty', and upholding of the pack's long standing traditions. 

Every few years the Elders of the Moon Bridge Pack in accordance to tradition will select one or two 'honoured' Omegas who will be sent off to marry into an allied pack with low with Omega numbers. This role of the 'honoured Omega' is painted as a selfless act of duty that brings honour to the pack and maintains the pride and prestige of the pack. Despite this, the fact still remains that this 'honour' is imposed on these Omegas and their families. After all,they have no liberty to refuse  this 'honour'.