Chapter 12: What Had to Happen

"I'm sorry, Kal. But I can't give him up either" Juno spoke while looking back into Kal's eyes.

A moment of silence once again fell in the forest. "I know. I've known since the beginning it would be this way, but still a small part of me hoped otherwise. I am really a big idiot, aren't I?" With a self deprecating smile on his face Kal replied.

Juno sighed. "Is this the best way?" He muttered with a voice so low it was barely audible beyond his own ears. Perhaps he was speaking to himself, perhaps he was speaking to Kal. He wasn't quite sure who that question was addressed to once it left his lips.

A gentle but cold breeze carried Kal's response "It's the only way".

Juno: "Are you sure?"

Kal: "..."

Juno: "Then, is there a chance, no matter how small, that we can go back to how things were after this?"

Kal chuckled sadly: "Even if we didn't do this, we can never go back to the way things were before".

Juno said nothing in reply.

Kal: "But it's okay, despite everything we will be okay. We have no choice other than that".

Juno: "...Will we come to regret this?" Once again it was not clear whether he was asking himself this or Kal.

The wind blew once more and with it so came the sound of bones clicking. Before long, besides Juno stood a beautiful large wolf. It's dark grey fur seemed to reflect the moon light making it look as though it was sprinkled with gold dust. This wolf was well known to Juno. He had spend all his life running along side this wolf in this very forest they called home. In fact, they had just done so only moments earlier just like they had done since their childhood. Yet despite the forest being the same as it had always been, the two people who ran within it were different. Juno observed the wolf's face in detail as though this would be his last time seeing it. He remembered clearly the day Kal's wolf, Sentinel, got that small scar on his left ear. It felt that even though they were standing beside each other, looking into each other's eyes, the distance between them at this moment felt worlds apart.

He had always thought he would spend the rest of his life with Kal. Yet, after today, he knew that was no longer possible.

Through the mind link, Kal spoke <"I, Kaleo Alaric, the Beta of the Moon Bridge Pack, challenges Juno Selene Ordell, the Alpha of the Moon Bridge Pack into a fight of submission. The victor will have the right to demand one thing of the loser. Will you accept this challenge?>"

Juno stood up and also proceeded to transform into his wolf form. Through the mind link he uttered "<I accept>".

As soon as he finished, Kal's wolf, Sentinel, rushed forward with his claws extended. Juno's wolf, Eos, swiftly dodged to one side before extending it's claws to scratch at Sentinel's body as it flew past him. The pair were almost evenly matched. Though Kal was lacking in strength when compared to Juno, he made up for this weakness with his speed. Where as despite Juno's strength he was slightly slower than Kal.

Their battle continued for a while, each blow dealt by Kal was repayed almost immediately by Juno. Suddenly, the fighting stopped. And the two wolves locked eyes at a distance. Then without any warning, the fight resumed and both wolves began to charge towards each other. It was as though they knew that this was the deciding moment.

As they collided, Juno used his strength and momentum to thrust Kal away. Sentinel was sent tumbling in the ground with a yelp. Despite this, he wasn't ready to give up yet. He tried with all his might to get up but the pain surging from his back leg was excruciating. At a moment's notice Eos had already arrived at his side, ready to pounce should he show any signs of attacking once again. Left with no other choice, Sentinel whimpered and exposed his neck in submission.