Chapter 29: Mature Cheddar King

Contrary to Tully's expectations, the party was not held at Kii's house. Thirty or so minutes of traversing through the forest landed the pair on the outskirts of the Moon Bridge Packlands. Tully held the torch in front of him, its light all but a morsel being devoured into the dark abyssal jaws of the forest.

Though his sight was obscured by darkness, he could sense that there was a shift in the atmosphere of the forest as they ventured into 'no man's land'. Something about this part of the forest felt different. The vibrations of it reverberated with him, and he felt his heart quake. He looked around him unsure whether it was fear or excitement he felt as they walked on.

The moon dained to peek beyond the clouds, and the trees momentarily came into view. There they stood as tall and mighty as ancient titans with  primordial appendages outstretched in a horizontal tapestry of thickly interwoven branches and leaves. The whole area was wildly untamed, so much so that it made the forest in the immediate surrounds of the Moon Bridge Packlands seem like a manicured garden.

'Why is this forest called 'no man's land?' He asked.

Kii thought about it for a moment. "It's a double meaning. It's no-man's land because it doesn't belong to any Pack. There's a long historical context to it but I unregrettably slept werewolf 101 classes". Seeing the boy's interest, she scratched her cheek and added. "Ask Juno, as the Alpha of the Pack, this is his forte".

Tully nodded absentmindedly, his thoughts accompanied by the sound of pine needles crunching against the soles of their feet. He thought of Kal. He thought of the forest where they had drunk hot chocolate together under a grass-scented blanket. Kal had shown him a forest of flowers. Kissed him amongst the deem glow of fireflies. Then, just like that he left.

'I miss you'.  He thought. Then he sighed.

In his contemplative daze,Tully stumbled on tree roots. Kii promptly reached out to stop him from face-planting as she laughed heartily.

You should just let me carry you." She offered for the second time in the span of ten minutes. "What is so embarrassing about being carried? It's not like anyone can see you anyway."

"W-what do you mean no-one can see me anyway? I can see myself! And you can definitely see me!"

"So it's okay if I close my eyes?" She asked.

Tully placed the torch under his face, his glare intensified tenfold by the cold wash of torch light.

"Your loss." Kii shrugged then added. "This maiden was willing to carry you in her delicate, fragile arms, embrace you closely in her chase voluptuous bosom, all to save you from peril and yet you refuse her goodwill!"

Tully scoffed, he could imagine her wiggling her eyebrows dramatically despite the darkness. "I am n-not opposed to being carried. I'd just prefer the 'maiden' to be over six foot tall, firm chested with strong muscular a-arms, gentle deep blue eyes, soft kissable lips -." He giggled and stopped himself as a blush crept onto his face.

"Are there no limits to how down right cheesy you are when it comes to Juno? Seriously, I could open a pizzeria with just how much cheese my ears have had to endure since you guys got together."

"Alas, my boyfriend is just too h-hot. He could melt cheese -"

"Ahhh ahhh I can't take this anymore! We are almost there, thank fuck."

Tully smirked triumphantly.  "When you find your mate, we'll see if you won't start v-vying for my position as the mature cheddar King."

She just smiled wryly and murmured something under her breath. Before Tully could ask her what she had said, Kii exclaimed. "We are here!" Her pace quickened. Tully followed behind her as they cleared the last row of trees. He turned the torch off and sheathed it in the pocket of his thick woollen jacket. The path ahead was lit with hanging lanterns on either side bathing the surrounding forest in a wash of warm demure yellow light.