Chapter 2: The Beginning of Our Time

Tully POV 

My mum had stopped the car right outside a surprisingly large old looking building.  Observing our surroundings, we were both shocked by the number of students flocking into the building. It seems that we both assumed that given the town's small population there wouldn't be this many people my age. 

With a tight hug, a peck on the cheek, followed by a reminder to take my medicine after eating my lunch, my mum reluctantly drove  back home as she needed to meet the movers who were dropping off the rest of our stuff. 

I was left standing there in a state of indescribable emotions. I took a moment to silently observe the groups of people laughing with their friends. A feeling of dread mixed with a twinge of excitement pulsated through my stomach making it feel as though it was doing a gymnastics routine. I could feel my heart rate rising and I knew I had to calm myself otherwise the watch that monitors my heart rate would most definitely start going off. That's something I do not want to happen during my time here. I inhaled deeply through my nose then exhaled  slowly through my mouth then merged into the hallways filled with students. I followed the signs, and before long I was standing outside the door of the headteacher's office. I knocked on the door of the office and entered after I heard her say it was okay to do so. 

The woman with grey hair and a pleasantly aged face was sitting on a large wooden chair that looked like it could fit at least two more of her. We exchanged pleasantries, before she asked me to confirm my emergency contact details and other necessary information. She then gave me my timetable and told me that a student will soon be here to show me around the campus. And just as she had finished, there was a light knock on the door. That must be my guide. As I exited her office, she once again welcomed me to the sixth form with a warm and gentle smile to which I reciprocated. 

Outside the office stood a tall boy with wavy dark brown hair and probably the most beautiful grey-green eyes I have ever had the pleasure of looking into. From his pupils radiated an air of purposefulness, confidence and a gentleness that seemed to contradict his tall muscle-cladded frame. As he leisurely leaned against the wall opposite the door a simple thought passed through my head: "How the fuck is it possible for someone to look that good?". I had honestly never really given much thought to my sexuality seeing as there were other more important things to worry about such as staying alive. But this guy definitely put things into perspective. 

Realising that I was probably staring longer than I should have, I could feel the warmth rush to my cheeks and my borrowed heart beginning to pulsate at a faster rate than comfortable. If it were not for my being half black I would probably be as red as a tomato right now.

I cleared my throat in an attempt to somewhat regain a sense of composure as I broke from his intense gaze casting my eyes downwards to the black and white floor tiles and...introduced myself to them. 

"Um...hey, you must be...the person who is going to show me around. My name is Tully DeMoor, it's...n...nice meeting you" I half whispered and probably half mumbled the rest. So much for confidence! Seriously! What normal person talks while staring at the bloody floor? I internally face palmed.  

After what felt like enough time to brew a cuppa, run a marathon, and maybe even walk the entire circumference of the earth, the boy seemed to have finally registered that I had said something.  And for the first  time in our short encounter I could feel his gazed leave mine as he reached out his hand for a handshake. 

"Oh wow...so cute" he mumbled before his eyes widened as he realised what he had just said. After pausing for a moment probably to conjure up some sort of excuse to justify his prior statement he uttered with a slight blush coating his high cheekbones "I meant your name is cute".