Chapter 10: Those Words Weren't Mine

It was late afternoon when Juno arrived at the Pack hospital, a medium sized modernist building located near the pack daycare.  

He entered the building walking through a long white corridor littered with doors on either side before stopping a few steps from a door numbered 18. He took a deep breath and knocked twice. Though there was no reply, some shuffling could be heard from the inside and before long a nurse wearing a white and blue uniform opened the door. 

She glanced at him momentarily before immediately lowering her gaze and greeting Juno with a shaky voice. He nodded in response and proceeded to enter the room. The nurse who was still standing at the door as stiff as a statue regained her composure and swiftly exited the room before closing the door noiselessly behind her. 

On the hospital bed laid a frail looking black haired boy who looked to be of a similar age to Juno. Aside from his hair colour, the rest of his face was unrecognisable. His eyes were swollen shut with deep, fresh, bluish-purple claw marks stretching from the top of his left eyebrow diagonally to the bottom of his chin. His arms and legs were heavily bandaged making him look like an Egyptian mummy. But what stood out the most to Juno was the faint, almost unnoticeable finger marks around the boy's neck. 

Juno had known that despite Omegas having a slightly faster healing rate to that of normal humans, it was still much slower when compared to other werewolves. Still, he couldn't help but observe  the sorry state of the sleeping boy with an incredulous look. The boy's breathing was shallow, and where not blue, purple or green his face was deathly pale. He looked so pitiful, his appearance enough to incite feelings of worry and pity in those who saw it. 

Juno sat down on the chair next to the bed, he leaned his head backwards, looking up to the ceiling before allowing his eyes to flutter shut for a moment. Before he knew it, his index finger was gently tapping the chair's armrest as he was lost in a whirlwind of disarrayed thoughts, failing to notice that the boy had stirred awake. 

A muffled groan echoed throughout the silent hospital room, causing Juno's eyes to open promptly. He sat up and observed the boy whose eyes were trailing on him. "You're awake" Juno stated emotionlessly. 

A wave of repulsion filled the boy's eyes as his swollen lips curled upwardly in a mocking smile before he spoke in a groggy, broken tone "Yes...I am. And I am sure much to your disappointment".

Juno's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, he wasn't quite sure why this Omega would think that. As he was about to ask him why, the Omega continued, "Are you here to finish the job yourself, seeing as the patrol squad couldn't do it?" 

Baffled at this conversation, Juno stood up and poured the Omega a glass of water seeing as his voice was incoherent and throat dry.  The Omega observed his every movement, the disgust in his eyes growing into contempt.  He eyed the glass of water which Juno held close to his mouth and with great effort used his bandaged arm to knock it from Juno's hand and onto the floor. 

"Enough!" The Omega roared, his voice strained as though he had just swallowed shards of broken glass. "Stop with this fake concern! It's fucking disgusting. You are the one who ordered for me to be sent to patrol the outer borders. Ha! You must really take me for a fool. Do you think I didn't know that the 'rogues' who attacked me were actually the patrol team from the pack? So how about you drop the act, and do what you really came here to do" 

Dumbfounded Juno stumbled back into his chair, and exhaled a long sigh. He pinched the bridge of his nose while replaying the Omega's words in his mind.  His gaze moved back to the Omega whose  rage was clear in the tightness of his clenched fists that quivered slightly from pain. 

"What is your name?" Juno asked. This time, the dumbfounded one was the Omega. He glared in Juno's direction with disdain but upon meeting his eyes, the boy's raging emotions seemed to falter for a moment. He sighed, as though resigned to fate and through gritted teeth he replied "Kian''.