Chapter 6: Confusing Times

Kii's POV

Thankfully, after lunchtime was over, the rest of the school day seemed to speed by and before long I was heading to meet Kal. The look of sadness, confusion and worry written on his face never left me and I spent the remainder of the day futilely conjuring up all sorts of scenarios as to what was causing him to be like this. 

As always Juno had to leave as soon as the school day was over due to his after school Alpha training. I'm sure he'll also report about Tully, because there was no denying the strange mix of scents on him. It was strange how he smelled like two people but the scents were not on him but rather within him. Rouge wolves usually have a mixture of scents when they attempt to camouflage themselves. But that is impossible since he's human. And I doubt that the boy is a threat. No, I am certain that he is not. And if it were just my life on the line, I wouldn't even consider doubting him. But from experience, we as a pack have learnt through the blood of our loved ones that assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups. And if we are not careful, the fine line that makes us the predators can just easily turn us into prey.

 I wonder if Juno will bring up the fact that he and Tully are mates to the Elders? I don't see much point since he is not 18 until next week anyway so they'll most likely dismiss it and tell him to wait until then.  But then again he's the future Alpha so maybe they'll actually give a shit about what he thinks unlike how they treat the opinions of the rest of the pack. The other issue is the fact that Tully is not only a human but a male one at that. I dread to imagine the sort of complications those old fossils will come up with. Just the thought of those slimy old men preaching about their ancient and outdated beliefs makes my skin crawl. 

I see Kal who is lifelessly leaning on his locker. I tap his shoulder and without saying anything I exit the school building and begin walking towards a familiar trail that leads from the school grounds towards a small area of forest that we used to use as our hideout/hangout during our early teen years. 

We slowly walk down the path in silence. Judging from Kal's expression, I feel that he still needs time to sort through his thoughts. The trail that was once beat down and almost completely flattened by the footsteps of our younger selves has now become overgrown. When and why did we suddenly stop coming here? Was it when Juno was announced as an Alpha trainee? Or perhaps a little later, when he started acting all serious and distant with us? Or maybe it was when the Elders called Kal and I to warn us that Juno is no longer "one of us" and when I retaliated they locked me, a then 14 year old, in the dark and damp basement for three whole days as a punishment because "I didn't know my place". Unlike Juno and Kal, the future Alpha and Beta of our pack, to the Elders I am nothing more than a worthless underling. Those of us without power or position in the pack are told we should and must obey without question. But I refuse to be a servant to their commands. 

We finally arrived at our destination, a large tree at the centre of the clearing. There is a flimsy swing attached to the tree as well as bottles hanging on the tree's lower branches. I remember every year on our birthdays, we would write a letter to the Moon Goddess telling her all our wishes, we would then place these letters into the bottles before sealing them and hanging them onto the tree's branches. 

I took a seat on the swing while Kal sat on a rock positioned a little further from the swing's path. We sat taking in the fresh forest air which was laced with the damp smell that preceded heavy rain.  Bird song echoed throughout the clearing, while a canopy of grayish-orange clouds of sunset littered the sky. For a moment nothing seemed to matter. It felt as though being here, within these trees was enough to wash away all our troubles and reduce us back to being the carefree children we once were. Everything felt so unbelievably peaceful, so serene that I wish I could tell the me of the future to savour and cherish these times will all her might because moments like these do not last infinitely.

"Soo..." I said breaking the silence. "Are you ready to tell me what's been bothering you?" I asked Kal. 

"No, I am not. Well, I don't know. I don't even understand what's going on myself" he muttered staring into the sky.

"Mmm, okay I understand. But maybe talking about it out loud will help you rearrange your thoughts" I told him while shrugging disinterestedly when in fact I was internally dying of curiosity.

"Ha. You are so nosy, Kii" he huffed.

"Heehee, I know I am. But I am what I am" I stated proudly and he sighed before chuckling.

"Tully is my mate" he uttered. 

"Which Tully? It can't be the one we know since he's clearly Juno's ma..." I trailed off as soon as I saw the serious expression on Kal's face. 

"Tully DeMoor is my mate, Kii." I know it. I feel it with every fiber of my being. And my wolf knows it too" he stated unwaveringly. 

"A-a-are you sure? Maybe you are...mistaken? I mean you are not 18 yet...Plus, there can only be one mate for an individual. Mates are the most precious bond the moon Goddess creates so it can only exist between two people. Once you find your mate, being without them is like being alive but not living" I rumbled on like some encyclopaedia of shit the older pack members have told us time and time again. 

"I know, Kii. I'm not stupid nor is my wolf. I've thought about it all day and I have come to the same conclusion everytime. Tully is my mate. Even this moment proves me to be correct because my wolf is longing for him and my heart is not at ease being away from him" he said looking anguished. 

"But Juno...then...is he the one that's...mistaken? No. It's impossible..." I unconsciously let out my jumbled thoughts.

"Juno and his wolf wouldn't make that sort of mistake.  No, in fact it's impossible.  Alphas tend to have stronger bonds with their mates than others. In fact most wolves who found their mates before the age of 18 are usually Alphas" he said.  

"That's true, but then if you're also sure then what the hell is going on?" I muttered in confusion. 

"If I knew that then we wouldn't be here!" He snapped angrily before immediately looking apologetic and guilty.

"As much as I hate to say this, but I think we need to have a chat with the Elders and Juno about this" I finally said after thinking for a moment.

"No. Please Kii, we can't!" Kal pleaded. "The Elder's involvement will only make the situation worse. Plus they won't intervene since we are not 18 yet. As for Juno..." his words trailed off into silence. 

"I know that the Elders will complicate things, but right now we need to talk to someone with a lot of knowledge about mate bonds. Also even if we talk to our parents they will inevitably still report to the Elders anyway. As for Juno, he deserves to know.  This affects him just as much.  But I'm worried about his reaction.  You already saw how possessive and protective he was when you were close to his mate...no...your mate...I mean Tully. He and his wolf already consider Tully theirs and theirs alone" I said sighing. 

"I know. But I also think that Tully should have the right to choose for himself who he wants to be with. My wolf and I want our mate just as much as Juno and his wolf do" he spoke in a tone so serious and cold that it sent shivers down my back.