Chapter 9: Here, With Us

Kii's POV

<"If you are that worried then you should ask him yourself"> Kii hissed at Kal through their shared mind link

<"Of course I'm worried but i think you should ask him this time"> Kal replied almost pleading.

<"Urgh fine! You always make me ask the awkward questions"> she huffed

Kii then cleared her throat, turned to face Tully and began to speak. "So were you homeschooled previously? Your mum said that you hadn't attended school before" .

Tully looked surprised for a moment then answered "T-this is my first time attending school. Some things happened and I wasn't able to attend school"

We all watched as Tully's expression darkened slightly as he saw our questioning gazes. He sighed as his eyes glazed over in thought for a moment.

He then continued "I was ill and spent most of my time in hospital, so I guess I was hospital schooled rather than homeschooled"

We looked at each other then back at Tully, neither of us really knew what to say upon hearing this.

"Is that why your mum was so insistent that you take your medicine? Are you still not well?" Kal inquired, worry evident in his voice

Tully tilted his head sideways in slight confusion as though he was wondering how Kal knew about this. Then a light flashed in his eyes. He giggled and said "Kaleo, you have really good hearing, how could you overhear what my mum said from so far away?"

Kal blushed as though he was a kid caught sneaking a treat from the fridge past bedtime. "But how come i haven't seen you taking your medicine for the last few days? Did you lie to your mum?" he asked the boy his expression reverting to that of worry.

"I went to the bathroom. I-I took them once I got to the bathroom. It's just that...I thought it would be weird if I randomly started popping a bunch of pills"

"Pills? What for? Are you not feeling well?" Juno asked with an unreadable expression after joining the conversation as soon as he arrived and sat down at our table.

"F-for my heart" Tully stated in reply. Reading the hesitation on his face, I reassured him by telling him that he doesn't need to explain himself to us if he doesn't feel comfortable or ready to do so. A statement which Jun and Kal nodded in agreement with.

"It's not that I'm not comfortable...it's just...I want to be normal" his voice trailed off. "You guys will find out sooner or later anyway. So long story short, I have recently had a heart transplant. I'm all okay now but I still need to take anti-rejection meds and other stuff to make sure nothing goes wrong" he explained, once he finished he sighed in relief as though a burden had been lifted off his shoulders.

It would be an understatement to say that we were all not speechless. The two boys were staring at him with emotions flickering from shock, then sadness at what he's been through and happiness that he's alive.
I somehow managed to collect myself and form a reply. I didn't want to offer my pity since the boy clearly did not want it nor was it necessary as I believe we should be celebrating the fact that he is alive rather than pitying him.

"I'm happy that you are alive,Tully. And happier to have met you but what makes me happiest is that you are here, right now, to share this moment with us" I said even though it came out just above a whisper. I really was genuinely happy to know Tully. In the very short time we have spent together, I truly feel that we are meant to be friends for life.

Tully looked at me wide eyed and disbelieving. I just smiled at him and took his hand into mine squeezing it reassuringly. He smiled heartily tears threatening to cloud his deep brown eyes.

Kaleo also proceeded to gently grasp Tully's other hand. I believe that this was his awkward way of showing his support. But underneath the table I could see that his other hand was clenched into a fist so tight that his knuckles were white. It wasn't hard to imagine what was going through his head right now. He was likely blaming himself for not being able to do anything for his mate while at the same time being overjoyed that his mate is still alive.

Juno who was in the middle of taking out his food from his bag had completely stopped in his tracks. He stared at Tully in silence, while his blue eyes contained a raging storm of emotions that threatened to escape. He looked like someone had poured ice cold water on him and that icy water happened to actually be petroleum which was then set on fire. I guess this reaction is also normal considering he too had just found out his mate was sick enough to require a heart transplant.

"You-" Jun started before he immediately stopped speaking. He sat down and looked like he was listening intently from an unknown source for a while, his expression growing heavier with every passing moment. When he came to, his expression was stoic but a sigh unconsciously escaped his lips. Juno placed his food back into his bag before he cast his gaze at Kal and Kii as though in wordless communication.

Unbeknownst to Tully, the three were talking through the mind link. Juno had just informed them that one of their pack members who was sent by the Elders to join the patrol group that patrols the outermost border had returned in a sorry state. He was practically torn to bits in what is suspected to be a rogue attack. The other patrol members said that with his Omega physique he was unable to keep up with them and had lost track of them for a moment in the forest; by the time they had realised this and retraced their tracks and located him, he was already in that half dead state.

<"But that makes absolutely no sense. Why was an untrained Omega sent to patrol the outer borders by the Elders? Have they finally gone senile?"> Kii spoke in a questioning tone through the link

<"Yeah that's true, something doesn't feel right about this. Have you heard anything from Alpha Rudius?"> Kal asked Jun.

<"No...he said that his investigation had to be cut short because the Elders unanimously voted against its continuation, deeming it to be a waste of resources. I will go back and check up on the situation"> Juno stated before closing the mind link.

After saying this Juno closed his bag, stood up and took a step to leave. Then stopped for a moment, turned around and looked at Tully's face before reaching out and lightly rubbing his thumb on his cheek. A smile that was almost invisible to the eye had worked its way onto his lips.

Tully flushed red at the unexpected contact, but a moment later he visibly relaxed and subconsciously leaned into the hand that was touching his face. His big brown eyes became slightly lidded in an alluring languidness that seemed to transform his normal cuteness into an air of sexiness.

Noticing this, Juno's hand froze, his eyes widening in pleasant surprise, a smile visible in his now darkened eyes. But an instant later, he slowly removed his hand, fixed his expression, turned around and left the canteen without saying a word.

Tully was left in a daze as he watched Juno's retreating back. The hazy expression on his face looked as though someone had greatly wronged him, cutting his fun short and forbade him from ever playing again.

A moment later, Kal also got up and rushed out of the canteen, breaking Tully out of his daze. In a rush Kii told Tully that it wasn't long before the bell would ring and he should start heading to his next class since it's on the other end of the campus . She explained to him that something minor had happened but both Kal and Juno were fine, so he shouldn't worry. She then also proceeded to leave in a hurried manner, her face graced with a smile that poorly concealed the worry in her eyes.

When Kii arrived in the bathroom, Kal was washing his face. If not for the smell of blood in the air and the bloodstain that had failed to wash off the corner of his lip, Kii would have been completely ignorant to what was happening.

"Oh Moon Goddess, Kal. Please tell me it's not what I think it is" Kii spoke in a disbelieving tone.