Snogging the Marauders

James Potter had liked Lily Evans since halfway through his 1st year at hogwarts. Her fiery spirit that matched her hair made him melt into an unflattering pile of goo. He was convinced that they would Marry and live happily ever after. She challenged him, kept him on his toes. The only other person that got under his skin more was Phoebe Griffin.

James eyes the red head and the Veela from his table in the library. Flickering back and forth between the two, he simply observed the pair.

"Prongs, you're staring," Peter says quietly, nudging him under the table. Sirius snorts then quickly covers it up. It was rare that the four of them were even allowed in the library. And they promised Remus that they would try to be quiet. Their werewolf friend briefly glanced up from his book, returning his eyes to the words he's reading while saying, "who's he staring at harder, Lily or Pheebs?"

"Phoebe," Sirius answers before James can. He scoffs and says indignantly, "I am not staring at Phoebe. I'm looking at my beautiful Lily flower, not the troll sitting next to her."

Peter blushed before he even starts talking, "Phoebe is not a troll and you know it."

"Yeah, Phoebe is hardly a troll," Sirius laughs quietly. "I remember how much you fancied her 1st year mate."

He changes his voice to sound like young James, "Oh remus, she's so pretty. She must be Veela because I'm bewitched by her."

James feels his cheeks pink slightly. He sends a well aimed kick under the table at Sirius, earning a loud "ouch" that startled the silent library.

"Shut up, Padfoot. You still drool over her," James defends. Sirius smirks and shrugs, muttering, "It would be foolish of me to not flirt with my hot friend. Emphasis on the word friend."

James scoffs, "you're hardly friends. You practically snog in the hallway."

"You sound rather jealous, James," Remus points out, only his eyes visible over his large book. James frowns and shudders.

"Like I'd be jealous of someone that's snogged Griffin."

Remus shrugs and says nonchalantly, "She's rather good at it."

James balks at his friend, whispering furiously, "You've snogged Griffin?!"

"We all have," Sirius replies easily, smirking at his friend. Peter blushes furiously and nods, muttering something about 'first kiss.'

James sits up straighter, feeling quite irritated, "So I'm the only one that hasn't?!"

Sirius grins and whispers to Remus loud enough that they can all hear, "Jealousy looks good on Prongs, does it not?"

"It does," Remus confirms, fighting back his own smile at his flustered friend.

"Fuck you," James finally says. "I'm not jealous. I'm going to ask Evans to Hogsmead to prove it."

"Okay," Remus says, shrugging.

"Good luck," Peter adds, sharing a look with Sirius and Remus.

James huffs and pushes himself to his feet, marching directly over the the table where Phoebe and Lily are studying. Lily looks up and groans when he appears, but Phoebe hardly even notices, used to the routine that James and Lily have. The words James wants to ask Lily don't come out like he expects.

"You've snogged all of my friends?!"

Phoebe glances up at Lily, very confused.

"No, I haven't," Her copper haired friend replies, shocked. Her fair skin is tinged pink and she has an indignant frown on her face.

"Not you, Evans. Griffin. You've snogged my friends."

Phoebe blinks up at him. His mouth is drawn into a tight line and his hair is ruffled, like he's been running his fingers through it a lot.

"Um," Phoebe hesitates. "Yeah?"

James gapes at her. Before he can stop himself he says irritably, "And I got left out?!"

Phoebe hears a noise of surprise from Lily. She too is shocked at what she's hearing. She says slowly, "You don't like me, Potter. And it's not like we all sat in a circle and snogged one day. Different circumstances."

James stutters over his words, trying to find a reasonable response that satisfies his irritation and keeps him from saying something stupid. Rather lamely he says, "Well that's not fair!"

Phoebe sighs, rolling her eyes. She was going to kill the other three boys.

"James, I believe you are here to ask Lily a question," Phoebe says simply, leaning back in her chair. Lily glares at her but she ignores it, gesturing for James to continue. He huffs and rubs the back of his neck, blatantly flustered.

"Yes, I am," He finally spits out. "Um—"

Phoebe sighs and says, "Hogsmead, Potter?"

"Yes! Evans, how about a little date with the most attractive boy in school," James asks, puffing his chest out. Phoebe winces, because she knows what's coming. Lily snaps,

"He's already asked me."

James blinks at her and says stupidly, "No I haven't."

Phoebe covers her eyes, unwilling to witness such an embarrassing situation.

"The most attractive boy in school already asked my to Hogsmeade," Lily says coldly. "I'm going with Amos Diggory."

Phoebe peaks between her hands to see a very deflated Potter staring at Lily. She kicks her friend under the table. Hard.

Lily jumps and winces. She glares at Phoebe again before saying quietly, "Sorry, Potter. Thanks for asking."

James perks up a little, but is still clearly hurt. Phoebe doesn't know why, but she feels terribly for the bloke and wants to lighten the mood.

"Want your snog?"

James blinks at her before a brilliant smile makes its way onto his face. He's still clearly hurt by Lily, but seems a little better. He chuckles a little and says, "Thanks, Griffin. Rain check?"

"One time offer," Phoebe teases. "Oh, and it just expired."

James sighs and snaps his fingers, saying playfully, "Damn. I'll get it next time." He nods once to Lily and looks at Phoebe for one more long second before turning back to his friends.

Lily whispers furiously, "Why did you kick me? And why on earth would you snog him?!"

Phoebe frowns and says quietly, "That was rather mean what you did, Lily."

"Because he deserves it! He's a relentless moron!"

Phoebe shakes her head at her friend. "He's in love with you, Lils. It's a compliment. Yes, it's annoying, but he's gotten better over the years. I think you should give him a chance."

Lily shudders and says pointedly, "He liked you first. You give him a chance."

Phoebe wrinkles her nose and shakes her head.

"Too busy snogging the other marauders?" Lily teases.

Phoebe rolls her eyes and whispers furiously, "different circumstances!"