Pressed

Phoebe stares out of the window in the boys dorm, wiping a tear away from her cheek. Lily knew where to hit, and she hit hard. She hears the boy's getting ready in the background, but chooses to focus on the song her earrings are singing to her instead.

"Phoebe?" A soft voice interrupts. She blinks in surprise at the use of her name from James, turning to face him. He smiles kindly and says, "I brought you some clothes to sleep in. Sirius leaves his on the floor so I figured you would want some clean ones."

She's stunned by the gentleness of his gaze and actions, taking the clothes in his hands slowly. She waits for a moment before saying, "Turn around, pervert."

James snorts and rolls his eyes, turning his back so the blonde can change. Sirius walks in and James splutters, "Padfoot, get out! She's changing!"

Sirius looks at him oddly and says, "I've seen it all before, mate. It's not like she's naked."

"Well in that case," James begins to turn, but feels small hands on his shoulder stopping him.

"Merlin, James! Stop!" Phoebe laughs quietly, sending a grin up the boy's face.

"Sirius gets to see you, but I don't?"

"Sirius isn't phased by it. You'd turn into a blabbering fool. You can turn now."

James snickers and turns to the blonde, feeling an odd sense of pleasure at the sight of her in his sweatpants and chudley cannons sweatshirt. He tuts and reaches out, rolling up the far too long sleeves so they'll properly fit her. He hesitates before asking, "So it's James now?"

Phoebe chuckles, handing him the other arm to roll up her sleeve, "I suppose. James is when you're nice, and Potter is when you're being a dick."

"I can get on board with that, Griffin."

She narrows her eyes playfully before stepping away from him. Her smile fades slightly and her eyes appear worried. James says quickly, "It'll be better tomorrow. Everyone just needs to relax."

Phoebe rolls her eyes and says tiredly, "Don't worry, your Lily-Flower won't be mad forever."

"That's not what I'm worried about," James corrects quietly, glancing away from the girl. He clenched his teeth and murmurs, "Thank you. For standing up for me. She never should've called you that."

Phoebe sighs and shrugs, "She didn't mean it. Any of it. She just blows up sometimes and I guess it got out of hand. You're a git sometimes, James. But no one deserves to be rejected that harshly."

He swallows past the lump in his throat and nods, leaving her to go to his own bed. Sirius, witnessing the tender moment, decides to mess with Phoebe. When the girl walks to his bed he says seriously, "I kick in my sleep, just so you know."

Phoebe frowns and sighs, glancing at Peter's bed. The boy, for once quick to catch on, says hurriedly, "It wouldn't be right with Mary."

"I'm hardly going to try to snog you, Pete!" Phoebe cries, looking over to Remus. The kind hearted boy smiles sympathetically and says, "You're welcome to sleep with me, Pheebs, but I snore quite a bit."

James narrows his eyes at Sirius from across the room, curious if his friend is doing this on purpose. Sirius, ever the actor, plays it off quite well. James sighs and scoots over in his bed, lifting up the corner of his blankets while saying, "Get over here, Griffin. Before I change my mind."

Phoebe hesitates before trudging over to the boy and crawling into the bed. Remus turns out the lights and says cheerily, "Goodnight, Lads!"

"Goodnight!" They all cry loudly, making phoebe clap her hands over her ears. She feels James' chest rumbling from next to her, signifying his laughter.

Too tired to say anything, she removes her hands and settles in. She tries her hardest to keep at least two inches of space between them, but the bed is smaller than she thought. James, sending her awkwardness, whispers cheekily, "I forgot to mention that I'm a cuddler."

She gasps as warm arms envelope her, pulling her back tight against his chest.

"Potter," She scolds, fighting a smile despite herself. She couldn't fathom that she was in his bed. If someone had told her she would be here last year she would've laughed in their face.

"Goodnight, Phoebe," The boy mumbles in her ear, resting his chin on her head. The Veela hums her reply and closes her eyes, the warmth of his body lulling her to sleep.

James tightens his grip on her as he feels her relax, feeling oddly protective. He doesn't know when he'll get the chance to be this close to her again, so he relishes it. He breathes in the scent of her lavender shampoo and curves around her lithe body. Phoebe Griffin was a mystery, an enigma. And James liked the puzzle that was her existence. He closes his eyes, melting into the smallest bit of cold skin exposed at her waist that presses against his own warm skin.

The boy was used to thoughts of Lily Evans at night, keeping him awake. He didn't expect the presence of Phoebe to draw him into the depths of sleep and serenity.