Pure

Despite her heavy talk with Headmaster, Phoebe had a relatively smooth transition back into school.

James was patient and listened when she was ready, Phoebe sharing every word of Dumbledore's. It was new for both of them, James getting to hear every thing come so easily from her.

But none of the drama or past mattered, because today she got to help other students in care of Magical Creatures. Professor Mcgonagall had met with every Gryffindor student earlier in the year to solidify their career goals, and was very happy to hear that Phoebe was sticking to hers. Because her grades were all very good, the Veela was allowed one day to assist Professor Kettleburn in class.

The first years and second years were adorable, still rather hand shy and nervous around the creatures. But Phoebe showed them what to do, how to approach each creature. She even sent a secret signal to one that they got a question right on their pop quiz that they'd been fretting over.

She and Kettleburn both suit up to go outside, chatting as they walk from the castle,

"I'm certainly glad you're joining us, Phoebe. This mare in particular does not care for men."

She arches her brow and asks curiously, "Is she pregnant? Perhaps she's feeling more protective."

Kettleburn considers her question and nods, saying,

"I reckon we should check! Very good, Phoebe."

The man has the tiniest proud smile on his face and it makes her feel like she could float away she's so happy. She can't wait to tell James. They approach the forest, and Phoebe instantly spots the pure white unicorn in the clearing. She glances at the Professor, grinning when he gestures for her to go ahead while he unloads his bag of supplies.

She approaches the beast slowly, smiling when it turns and looks at her. She hears Kettleburn laugh when the Unicorn approaches her, lowering its head. Phoebe's grin grows, a laugh bubbling from her as she scratches the beasts nose.

"Ahh! Here they come," Kettleburn says excitedly. Phoebe shuffles to stand beside the Unicorn, for some reason unwilling to leave it's side quite yet. It seems happy with the arrangement as well, remaining quite relaxed as the fifth year students approach.

Phoebe smiles warmly, taking inventory of the shocked and excited gasps. She notes the extremely eager girls, the curious looking boys, and then those who probably don't love care of magical creatures. There were some in every crowd.

Kettleburn begins to address the class, Phoebe's eyes zeroing in on a particular fifth year.

Regulus.

He was standing between two other Slytherin boys, his gaze occasionally flickering over to her and the unicorn. She catches him looking rather quickly, smiling slightly when he notices. He blinks and turns back to Kettleburn, Phoebe following suit when the professor calls her name.

"Phoebe, who many of you know, is here to help us today. Care to explain why?"

Phoebe smiles and nods, explaining to the fifth years,

"Mature Unicorns do not particularly care for Wizards. They find witches to be more pure and in turn safer."

She smiles sympathetically at a few of the disappointed boys, continuing kindly,

"Foal do not have any preference, they like both wizards and witches, but this unicorn is fully grown. How can we tell, besides the obvious size?"

Hands shoot up, waving in the air. Kettleburn calls on one, both the professor and Phoebe waiting patiently while the Ravenclaw girl answers,

"Unicorns are born with gold fur that turns silver when they've turned about 2 years old. Then when they are fully mature they become pure white."

Kettleburn nods and asks, "When do they become fully mature?"

The class is silent, no one sure of the answer.

"7 years," Phoebe says kindly, "Roughly 7. Then they've reached sexual maturity and can reproduce."

The class nods eagerly, and Phoebe has to remind herself not to look at Regulus. She's not sure why, but her run in with Lestrange and Rosier had made her nervous. For her and for the younger Black.

"I've provided a list of questions on Unicorns that will help you study for next week," Kettleburn crows. "While you work on that—yes, Ernie you may work together—one by one you will join Phoebe to approach the unicorn. Get to work!"

Phoebe smiles as they group together, answering questions as best they can. It was a kind of tricky assignment, so Phoebe expected questions when they joined her. She called the girls up first, smiling at their wide eyes when they approached the unicorn. One by one, they all got to stroke its fur and ask Phoebe their questions.

The boys were slightly more nervous, though Phoebe wasn't sure if it was the unicorn or her. Ernie, a Hufflepuff with hornrimmed glasses and a toothy smile asks her nervously,

"S-so, it doesn't like wizards?"

Phoebe smiles and replies kindly, "Don't worry, Ernie. She likes me, so she won't get upset with you. Come on."

She gestures for him to come closer, stifling her laughter at his wide eyes. The boys follow Ernie's lead, approaching slowly and very gently touching the unicorn. The beast grows a little disgruntled, but never aggressive. Phoebe easily distracts her with some greens and soothes her in between each student.

The Veela shuffles her feet nervously when Regulus, the last to come up, approaches. He's just as apprehensive as every other student, but relaxes when he strokes the nose of the beast. The unicorn actually seems rather relaxed with him, at ease. It reassures Phoebe greatly.

Phoebe smiles and asks quietly,

"Do you have any questions, Regulus?"

He stills slightly at his name and looks up from the beast. He wishes he could smile at her, crack a joke, say something. Anything. But his Slytherin peers are here. Every word he wants to say dies in his throat so instead he asks wearily,

"If they don't like wizards, why do some have unicorn hair as their wand core?"

"Good question," She quips, nodding. He eyes her eager face, smiling faintly at her care for this subject.

"Unicorn core wands care more about purity than anything else. The core has a penchant for witches and wizards that want to repel darkness. If dark magic is attempted with a unicorn core wand, the wand itself can rebel and even break."

She hesitates before asking,

"Is that your wand core? Unicorn hair?"

He too hesitates, unsure if he should answer. But he can't keep things from her, her grey eyes are like veritasirum, drawing the truth from him.

"Yes," He says quietly, focusing back on the unicorn.

"Is it yours?" He wonders, glancing back at her. It would make sense. Pure, loyal, repelling darkness. He couldn't think of anything else that made better sense for her.

She smiles ruefully and shakes her head, saying with mirth in her voice,

"No. Veela hair."

He chuckles quietly before he can stop himself, nodding. That certainly made sense as well. Phoebe's heart swells at his hushed laughter. He reminds her of herself and Sirius in so many ways. The rest of the class begins to pack up, so she says softly,

"Thank you for my Christmas gift. I keep it in my pocket wherever I go."

He feels a surge of affection for the girl, smiling before he can stifle it. He knew she'd like it.

"Good. I enjoyed my cigarette."

Phoebe grins slightly, remembering that she had sent him a smoke with his letter. They don't say goodbye when class is over, it being too obvious with his Slytherin friends watching. Instead she just flashes him a tiny smile, her heart warming further when he reciprocates quickly.