Scottish Deerhound

James stares in disbelief at the newspaper in his hands.

Muggle family killed in Essex, Minister believes Dark Magic is to blame

James glances up and sees that Sirius has a grim look on his face. He knows that his friend is thinking of his brother and his family, wondering if they have something to do with it. Not knowing what to say, James continues to read,

Dark wizard and his followers look to exterminate those without full wizard blood.

James snaps his head up again, eyes seeking out blonde hair. His chest is tight until he sees Phoebe and Lily walk into the Defense against dark arts classroom, taking their seats at the table behind Alice and Marlene. James exhales the breath he was holding, turning back to the newspaper once more.

Dementors and Aurors on the hunt for Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

"Mr. Potter! How fitting that you're reading that!" A shrill voice shrieks from behind him, nearly causing him to fall from his chair. Professor Alvina Rubble was a stout, elderly witch with wiry hair and crazy eyes. She was certainly odd, but the students were just glad to actually have a DADA teacher...not that she would last long.

Professor Rubble continues, "Thanks to recent developments I've pushed around some lessons. Today we are learning the Patronus Charm! Can anyone tell me what the patronus charm is?"

Lily's hand shoots into the air before the poor woman can even finish speaking. Instead of getting irritable, she smiles at the red head and nods for her to speak,

"The patronus charm is one of the most powerful defense charms known by the wizarding world. It is the primary defense against dementors."

"Excellent! 5 points to Gryffindor!"

The Professor turns back to James, a slight smile on her face. She says mischievously with a knowing look in her eyes, "Mr. Potter, would you care to demonstrate?"

James returns the smile smugly, especially when the class turns to look. He nods and stands, thinking of his strongest, happiest memory before casting,

"Expecto patronum!"

The class, minus the rest of the marauders gasp in awe as a large silver stag bursts from the light at the end of his wand. He can't help but turn to watch as the corporeal patronus roams the classroom until stopping short in front of Phoebe. He grins at her wide eyes, trying not to laugh at her shock. He heard Sirius let out a teasing "oooooooo" as the Stag bows it's head before prancing away. James shoots his friend a glare before turning back to see Phoebe, her cheeks slightly pink, glancing his way.

Professor Rubble claps her hands together, saying loudly, "Everyone up! Push the desks to the side and we're going to begin. Think of the strongest happy memory you have, really hold on to it!!! This is one of the hardest spells you will face casting, and not all of you will succeed. Even less of you will be able to produce a corporeal patronus. But Dumbledore has specially requested that you try. Begin!!"

The students all jump into action, pushing desks aside and squaring their shoulders. James can't help but notice that not a single student is in Slytherin. James watches as they work, chuckling when Sirius lazily casts his. Even Remus and Peter look a little smug when they easily cast their Patronuses. A stag, Irish wolf hound, rat, and wolf run around the classroom, dizzying students as they play.

James blinks in surprise as a doe suddenly joins the group of animals, following the grey wisps back to Lily's wand. The ginger is rolling her eyes, but he quickly looks to Phoebe and sees that her shoulders are stiff as she tries desperately to avoid looking at the stag and the doe. Phoebe feels her heart sink as the patronus errupts from her friends wand, her throat running dry when the doe joins the group of formed patronuses, including the stag she knows belongs to James. She averts her gaze, still aimlessly searching her mind for a happy memory. Her frustration has turned to a raw feeling of jealousy that tugs at her mind

Too distracted by the task at hand and the uncomfortable prickling in her chest, she doesn't realize that Lily has left and been replaced by a boy with floppy brown hair and hazel eyes framed by slightly crooked glasses.

"Do you need help?"

Phoebe jumps slightly, barely looking up at James before saying curtly, "No, it's fine."

"Let me help you."

"No."

James sighs exasperatedly and says quietly, "Let me try to help you once and then I'll leave you alone. You need to be able to do this."

It's true, she needs to be able to defend herself. That they both know. Phoebe can't help the emotion in her voice when she whispers,

"I can't."

James studies her, brows furrowed as she avoids his gaze. Realization dawns on him as she studies her wand, running her thumbnail along the wood grain. She can't think of a memory.

James sighs and says playfully, "Now, Griffin. Don't tell me you've not used the memory I use."

Phoebe looks up and meets his gaze, quirking her brow at him. He chuckles and murmurs, "I usually think about a memory with the lads...but today I thought about you."

Phoebe scoffs, fighting the smile that tugs at her lips, "Sod off, you wanker."

"I'm not joking, Griffin. C'mon."

James turns her so her back is pressed against his front, making him slightly dizzy. He stifles another wanton sigh and grabs her arm, holding it up confidently,

"Okay," He says gently in her ear. "Think about Sirius or the girls. Or how dumb I looked after I snogged you last year."

Phoebe laughs quietly but does as he says. She closes her eyes, instantly finding her mind drawn to a memory of James, but not after they'd snogged. She thought about him wrapping his scarf around her neck in the Quidditch tent, the gentle and playful smile on his lips. She thinks about how she laughed with him, how she feels safe and brave when he's near. How his lips feel on hers when he smiles after they kiss.

"Expecto Patronum," She whispers, her eyes still shut tight. James notices a strong ball of light forming and says excitedly, "Open your eyes, Bee."

Phoebe peaks one eye open and gasps as the grey mist from her wand begins to take shape. She laughs when she realizes what it is, but James doesn't share in her joy. His excitement turns to pure rotten jealousy at the slim and lanky silver dog running from her wand, looking awfully similar to Sirius' patronus.

James sighs and mumbles, "Good job."

The Veela senses his tone and turns to face him, raising her brows at his tight smile. She goes to open her mouth, to tell him it means nothing that her patronus is a dog too, when Professor Rubble interrupts,

"Excellent job, Miss Griffin. In all of my years I've never seen a Scottish deerhound!!!"

James' eyes widen, a grin slowly working its way to replace the frown that was forming. Phoebe too tried to bite back a smile especially when James asks,

"A what?"

"A Scottish deerhound! It's closely related to the Wolfhound, such as Mr. Black's. But the Deerhound was used for tracking red deer! Brilliant you two!" The Professor crows as she walks away, leaving the two teens to watch Phoebe's patronus slowly waltz over to the Stag. The silver creatures stand close together, stoically watching the other animals.

James tears his eyes away from the sight, watching Phoebe as she eyes the misty images. Her smile dimples her cheeks as she says lowly,

"Do not say a word, Potter."

"No words necessary, Griffin. I reckon your patronus has said enough."

Phoebe goes to elbow him in the side but James quickly grabs her arm, saying lowly, "Don't make me snog you in front of all of our peers."

Phoebe rolls her eyes and shakes her head, unable to speak out of fear that lovestruck laughter will bubble from her swelling heart.