Expectations

Phoebe gasped for air as Alice held her in her vice grip hug. She wheezes, wondering how such a small person can be so strong, "Merlin, Alice. I'm going to see you in a couple of months."

"I know," her friend sniffs, her tears falling on the back of Phoebe's jumper. The Veela looked at Frank Longbottom for help, but the soft spoken boy just shrug and smiles. Finally, Phoebe untangles herself from her friend, saying warmly, "Enjoy your last ride with Frank, Alice. I swear I will write!!"

Her pixie haired friend just sniffles, still blubbering as they separate. Phoebe gives Frank a quick hug as well, whispering in his ear, "Good luck with the proposal, Frank. I'm sure I'll see you soon."

The boy balks at her, shocked that the Veela knew of his plans. With one last wink and wave, she turned out of the compartment, heading back to sit with her friends for the last few minutes. Just as she begins to wonder if she might sneak one last sweet from the trolley, She collides with a hard chest.

"Sorry, I didn't see you—" Phoebe's words die in her throat as she looks up into the eyes of Regulus Black. She's immediately stunned by his similarities to Sirius. They share the same black hair, the same grey eyes, and the same air of mysteriousness. Phoebe prepares for the worst as he opens his mouth.

"You should be more careful," He says quietly, appraising her with a concerned look. "I could've been anyone."

Phoebe blinks rapidly before slowly saying, "Yes well, I've been told you don't care for me so I suppose running into you isn't idea either."

The boy's lips twitch into a tight smile. He hesitates before saying, "I care for Sirius. And you're his friend. So, I'm telling you to watch who you run into. There are people around that care a great deal less for you than I do."

Phoebe follows his gaze as he looks over her shoulder, goosebumps appearing on her skin at the sight of a group of slytherins staring at her darkly. She recognizes Mulciber and Rosier, as well as Rudolphus Lestrange. The latter lets his eyes run up her body slowly, a wicked grin on his face. Phoebe, feeling sick, quickly turns back to the boy in front of her. She whispers hurriedly, "Thank you, Regulus."

He doesn't say anything, just brushes past her. Phoebe rushes off in the opposite direction, only feeling safe once she's found the compartment packed full with her friends.

Lily and Remus sit together, chattering about a book in the readhead's hands. Marlene and Sirius are laughing at Peter while he eats Bertie Botts every flavor bean. The Veela quickly scoots in between James and Sirius, trying not to be too obvious with her arrival. James grins and goes to say something cheeky, but notices her tapping her fingers rhythmically on her leg. Somethings upset her. He grows concerned at her rapid fire tapping and the faint frown on her face.

"Phoebe, is everything okay?" He questions lowly, watching her fingers.

The Veela flashes him a tight lipped smile before nodding quickly. "Is it the train?" James asks gently. She sighs and says quietly, "I just have a bad feeling."

"About what?"

She waves him off, mumbling something about 'slytherins.' He decides not to press, instead saying,

"I'm not sure how you're going to last a whole summer without seeing me."

She rolls her eyes and scoffs, "Pretty easily I'd think. I'll have my grandma and cute French muggles to keep me company."

James' stomach turns at the thought of Phoebe and some muggle boy. He shoves it aside and opens his mouth to speak when the train whistle blows. The Veela curses loudly and nearly falls out of her seat, startling her friends. Sirius grins smugly and says, "Careful, Pheebs. The train might hurt you."

"You bloody git!" The Veela cries, smacking him on the shoulder. Lily and Marlene burst out laughing while Remus and Peter look on with grins. Sirius gasps as the girl continues to pummel him,

"Prongs! Help!!"

James stands and grabs the Veela, throwing her over his shoulder as the train slows to a stop. She shrieks, still trying desperately to swing at Sirius.

"Damn you, Potter! Put me down!!"

James ignores her and asks Remus, "Oi, Moony! Has she grown a beak yet?"

Remus shakes his head, fighting a smile as Phoebe squirms on James' shoulder, shouting obscenities. James laughs and carries her out of the compartment and down the hall of staring students, their group of friends trailing behind.

James jumps as Phoebe suddenly smacks one of the few places she can reach...his ass.

"Miss Griffin! Did you just smack my arse?!" He cries in disbelief. Phoebe begins to formulate a response, but even upside down she recognizes a formidable figure in the distance.

"James," She says quickly. "Put me down. Now."

James hears the seriousness in her tone and sets her down on her feet. He catches a solemn looking Sirius out of the corner of his eye and follows his gaze to a woman standing further up the platform. He's instantly taken by the distant woman's resemblance to Phoebe. She's lanky and thin and has the same blonde hair. Her eyes are a startling shade of blue that James can see even from where he's standing.

Phoebe is stiff besides him, all vibrant emotions completely gone from her face. She puts on a forced smile and says quietly, "I have to go."

"No," Sirius says firmly, quickly grabbing her hand. Phoebe panics slightly, seeing her mother start to walk her way. She grabs her trunk and her owl cage, saying quickly, "Sirius, please! Don't do this right now."

Sirius grips her tighter, but James sees the anxiety overwhelming her as her mother gets closer and closer. Sirius angrily retorts, "I don't want you to go with her, Pheebs."

"Let go!" She says exasperatedly, her cheeks warming as she feels her other friends watching. She finally pulls free and turns just in time to meet her mother head on. James frowns at the bored look on the older woman's face. His frown deepens when he hears her French accented voice say, "You're making a scene, ma fille. I see you disregarded my advice on carbs."

James feels unbridled rage at the woman's words, utterly shocked by her treatment of her daughter. Sirius is fuming next to him, glaring nastily at the older Veela.

Phoebe frowns and mumbles a quiet apology, flinching when her mother says sharply, "Parler plus fort!"

Phoebe flinches and nods, saying louder, "Ok je suis prêt. allons-y."

The woman nods once, sends a curt smile to the gawking group of friends, then turns and begins to walk. Phoebe, too embarrassed to face her shocked and angry companions grabs her things and begins to follow. A large hand wraps around her arm and she says thickly, "Sirius, I have to go."

"Phoebe..." A deep voice says quietly. Her grey eyes meet hazel ones and then she's being pulled into a tight hug. Her arms hang limply by her side for a beat or two and then she throws them around James Potter. James feels his heart break slightly at her crestfallen face. She clings to him, clenching her eyes shut to avoid seeing the rest of the world. She's been in this boy's arms before, and she finally admits she feels alarmingly comfortable and safe there.

Their friends watch from a few feet away, hearts heavy at the sight of their friend. Phoebe swallows roughly as James holds her impossibly close. He whispers in her ear, "Ignore her, Bee. Don't listen to a damned thing she says."

Phoebe laughs lightly and pulls away, blinking back tears. Her cheeks warm and she hears her mother calling her, but she feels a surge of bravery as she looks into James' kind eyes.

"I'll write you," He says hurriedly, not exactly sure what causes him to do so. The brilliant smile that appears on her face is worth all of the potential embarrassment and teasing he'll get from his friends. He momentarily feels the strong urge to kiss her senseless on the platform in front of her mother and all of their friends. But he knows better.

"I look forward to it. Bye, James."

"Bye, Phoebe."

This time as the Veela walks towards her disapproving mother, she feels not the normal weight of expectations. But the lightness of butterflies and warmth filling her chest.