Broomcloset

Lily stares at Phoebe nervously from her bed, tapping her foot quickly against the floor.

Phoebe finally sighs and looks up from her copy of Magical Beasts that the Potters purchased her.

"Yes, Lily?"

"We're okay, right? You know I never meant what I said. I just got wrapped up in everything and I felt like Potter was taking you away and I was scared about exams and my family and—"

"Lily!" Phoebe cries, halting the girls rambling. "Yes! We're okay. I swear. I know you didn't mean it."

The copper haired girl wells up with tears and she sniffles before saying quietly, "I've been a terrible friend. And you're right, I've been awful to Potter."

Phoebe's heart does a weird flip flop and she plasters a smile to her lips. It feels fake, but her mother had trained her well.

"You should get used to calling him by his name, Lily. The date might be awkward if you call him Potter the whole time."

Lily nods, staring down at her polished Mary Jane shoes. Phoebe sighs again and stands, wrapping her arms around the girl.

"Lily, you're like a sister to me. And sometimes sisters fight. All is forgiven! Especially since you're going to slum it with Potter for a day as pay back."

Lily winces and groans, "Why did I agree to this?"

Phoebe grins and forces a cheeky reply, despite the ugly feeling growing in her chest, "Because I asked you too. It'll be fine. I'll go wait with the lads while you finish getting ready."

Lily smiles tightly as Phoebe leaves, wandering down to the common room. She was already dressed and ready for the day, having committed to spending it with Marlene, Sirius, and Peter at the Three Broomsticks. Remus had an essay to finish and Alice was spending the day with Frank.

Phoebe zips up her leather jacket, grinning when Sirius appears wearing his own. James is already waiting by the portrait hole, looking significantly nearer than he usually does. His hair is parted and slicked down, his glasses smudge free. His shirt is even tucked in.

Phoebe let's out a snort, earning an elbow in the side from Sirius. "He's nervous," Her friend says lowly, a smirk on his face. Phoebe rolled her eyes and said quietly, "I gathered. He looks like he's going to propose."

"I hear you two," James cries, wringing his hands together. His eyes meet Phoebe's and his stomach does a weird flip flop at the sight of her. Her jacket fits her body rather tightly, matching her flattering trousers. James inhales sharply when he notices the same charcoal lining her eyes she'd worn months ago.

"Potter," Phoebe says curtly. James frowns and says harshly, willing the odd feeling he has to go away, "Griffin, all of that stuff still doesn't make you pretty."

She scoffs and narrows her grey eyes, "I could say the same about you. What's that in your hair, Potter? Flobberworm slime?"

Sirius sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. Marlene and Peter watch apprehensively. The days since Lily and Phoebe's row had turned the kindness between James and Phoebe into the same animosity they'd had since 1st year. In large part due the the weird emotions the two of them were feeling but couldn't name.

"You're just jealous," James spits, feeling rage crawl up his spine at the veela's attitude. "I've got a date with a beautiful girl while you're third wheeling with Sirius and Marlene."

"Hey!" Peter cries, clutching his chest like he's been wounded. Phoebe's eyes flash with fury and she crosses her arms across her chest, standing up straighter.

"Please," She hisses. "It's taken you 6 bloody years to get the girl to accept your offer. It would take me less than 6 minutes."

James laughs coldly, shaking his head to cover up the slight pinch of hurt he feels. Sirius and Marlene huddle away from Phoebe, sensing her growing anger. Pete slides over to join them, eyes wide at the scene unfolding before them. They hadn't seen the two go at it like this since the start of term.

"I'd like to see that, Griffin. It's on my list of things that are fucking impossible!" James growls, glaring at the blonde darkly.

Phoebe suddenly smirks, turning to glance around the room. She couldn't turn down James' challenge, even though something tugging at her heart told her to. Her eyes land on two red haired boys laughing in the corner.

"Oi, Gideon!" She hollers. One of the boys stands up straight and immediately finds her in the room. Gideon Prewett grins, showing his brilliant smile.

"Fancy a tour of my favorite broom closet?" Phoebe asks, smiling coyly. The boy stands dumbfounded for a second before he stalks over  and throws an arm around her shoulder. James feels his chest tighten at the action, wanting to rip the Prewett brother's arm out of its socket.

"Why, Phoebe. I thought you'd never ask again!" Gideon says smugly, pulling her tighter into his side. Phoebe waves to James as she and the red haired boy leave, triumph surging through her body. As they walk the emotion fades into something significantly less pleasant. She decides that she needs this as a distraction, tired of James and his bloody attitude. So...They don't make it to a broom closet. Phoebe tugs Gideon behind a statue and pulls his lips to hers.

They'd kissed before, so the blonde welcomed the familiarity. She kisses him deeply, wasting no time with the formalities. Gideon eagerly reciprocates, pushing her against the wall and tugging gently at her lower lip. He moans when she slides her tongue against his, her hands coming up to cup his face. This was right. Kissing a boy that didn't make her want to punch a hole in a wall.

"Merlin, Phoebe. What's gotten into you," Gideon gasps as the girl kisses his neck, cupping her waist in his large hands.

"I'm mad," She mumbles, sucking and biting on his freckles skin until she leaves a mark.

"You're using me?" Gideon laughs quietly, letting out another groan as she pulls away. She stares at him confusedly, not exactly sure how to answer. Gideon smiles cheekily and says, "In that case, let's show them who's boss."

The Veela laughs, squealing quietly when the boy attaches his own lips to her neck. He leaves behind a mark, quickly returning to her lips and continuing their rushed snog.