Pardon

{{I didn't edit because apparently I never edit anymore. Enjoy!}}

Phoebe smiles nervously at Lily, Marlene, and Alice.

They'd taken to having lunch together at least once a week at Lily's apartment, oftentimes treated to a visit from Fabian as well. Lily smiles behind her cup of tea when Marlene finally bursts,

"Fucking hell! Why are you being so weird, Pheebs?!"

They'd gotten through the entire meal with small talk, Phoebe oddly silent and twitchy the whole time. She hadn't even cracked a smile when Marlene had teased her for being so clingy and weird over James. When Lily brought out the tea she had smiled encouragingly at Phoebe, but she couldn't do it. She couldn't force the words from her mouth. She was still scared.

The Veela shrugs awkwardly and grunts, "I'm not being weird. You're being weird."

Alice sighs and warns, "Someone start talking or so help me Merlin—"

"I'm pregnant."

Marlene and Alice both freeze. They expect the words to have come from Lily. Certainly not the gangly and awkward being in front of them. Marlene blinks rapidly, asking flatly,

"Pardon?"

"I said I'm pregnant, you daft bimbo," Phoebe grunts, glaring at Lily's shaking body from bated laughter. Marlene's eyes fly to the read head, her voice incredulous, "You knew?!"

Lily smirks and nods. Everyone erupts in screams when Marlene launches to her feet, nearly tipping over Lily's table as she hustles around to hug Phoebe.

She laughs at the Scottish witch, mirth coursing through her when she feels something wet hit her shoulder. She can't help but tease, "Marlene, you better be crying and not drooling on my back."

"A baby Potter," Marlene wails, hugging tighter. Phoebe awkwardly pats her back, looking over her shoulder to see Alice frozen in shock. Phoebe's brows furrowed and she asks, "Al, are you alright?"

Alice jumps like she's been startled. Her stunned face morphs into a beautiful smile. She laughs and says, "Phoebe."

The Veela quirks a brow, responding, "Yes? That's my name."

Alice laughs harder, clutching her stomach. Her hand flies to her mouth before she says tearfully, "I'm pregnant. I'm pregnant too."

Phoebe had never been one for big displays of emotion. But she can't stop the elated shriek that leaves her mouth,

"YOURE FUCKING JOKING!"

Marlene and Lily join in, screaming in excitement and jumping together as Phoebe and Alice scramble from their seats. Phoebe pulls her friend into a hug, flooded with relief. She holds her tight, professing, "Thank Merlin. I'm absolutely terrified, Alice."

"Me too," The pixie haired witch laughs, squeezing the Veela. She pulls back and smiles happily, saying, "But we're going to get to be scared together! And grumpy. I've been holding this in, but fucking hell Frank is driving me wild!"

"James too," Phoebe sighs, grinning and shaking her head, "He won't even let me make my fucking tea in the morning!"

Marlene gasps and asks, "How far apart are you?"

Alice smiles and replies, "I'm nearly eleven weeks."

Phoebe blinks at her stunned. Lily snickers and says cheekily, "Sounds like there must have been something in the punch at the Halloween party."

Alice's eyebrows raise and her mouth drops as she asks, "You're eleven weeks?!"

"Nearly," Phoebe answers, smiling brilliant. She feels a newfound surge of confidence, her heart swelling. If nothing else, Alice could help her. Alice could show her how to be a good mother. That much she knew.