Library

A week had passed since the incident in potions. And it was safe to say that Phoebe was successfully avoiding James. And it was driving him mad.

"Did I do something?" He whispers to Padfoot, staring at the Veela from his table in the library with the marauders. She sat a few tables away, tutoring a sixth year boy that James didn't recognize. He clenches his fist when she throws her head back and laughs at something the boy said. He wishes he was closer so he could hear the bell like notes of laughter.

"Yes," Remus answers, earning James' reluctant attention. Peter jumps in and says, "The girls told me that you lied and said you were still attracted to Lily."

James scowls and says irritably, "That is not true, I—"

"It's kind of true," Sirius interjects, grinning cheekily.

James sighs and continues, "I said I smelled Lilies and gingerbread when I smelled Amortentia last year. So what?!"

"So," Remus says slowly. "Perhaps Phoebe wanted you to smell something different."

James perks up and grins, "why? Do you reckon she fancies me?"

"Are you going to admit that you fancy her?" Peter asks blandly. James frowns at the grinning faces of his three friends. He hesitates for a long moment, thinking of the girl. Of her smile, her beautiful eyes...her bloody lips. He needs to be able to talk to his mates about this. Whatever this is. Because all he wants to do is snog the life out of Phoebe Griffin, even when she's being a git and giving him a hard time. She was too confusing to try and figure out on his own.

James swallows roughly and admits to the boys and himself, "Fine. I suppose one could say... I fancy Griffin."

Sirius let's out a loud cheer in the silent library, causing every head to turn and look at him. Including Phoebe's. James, despite his immense embarrassment, tries to catch her eye. He slouches and glowers when she turns back to the boy she's tutoring and smiles.

"Fucking prick," James mumbles. Remus snickers and whispers to avoid drawing more attention, "Now that we've acknowledged the elephant in the room...James you're a jealous fool."

Peter nods in agreement, saying quietly, "You look like you're going to hex him."

"Who is he?" James asks, staring daggers at the boy as he touches her arm. He wants to rip off his fucking hand.

"That would be Jonathan Wood. He's one of the beaters for Ravenclaw. Word is, he quite fancies Pheebs," Sirius answers cheerfully, ecstatic that James was finally owning up to his crush.

"He's a fucking sixth year," James spits, forcing his eyes away from the Veela and the git he wants to murder.

"Yes, but you'll have the chance to kick his arse at the match this weekend," Peter points out, making James' lips turn up slightly. "Look! He's leaving!" Peter says excitedly. James whirls around and sees that Jonathan Wood is gone, leaving Phoebe alone. James jumps to his feet, ignoring the teasing from his friends as he quickly walks over to where the Veela is sitting.

Her eyes widen and she hurriedly gathers her things, but James pins her book to the table, saying cheekily, "Griffin. You're avoiding me."

"No," She answers hurriedly. "I'm just very busy."

Phoebe sighs when he sits across from her, still holding her book captive. If she didn't adore the blasted thing, she'd simply leave it behind. He must notice her staring at it, because he looks down to see what it is that has her attention. The image he's met with makes his heart swell and his smile widen. It's the book his parents had gotten for her last year. James flips it open to a random page and rubs his thumb over the scrawled notes in the margin, recognizing her handwriting.

"I know I shouldn't write in it," Phoebe says quietly. James shakes his head and laughs, "Of course you should. It's yours."

His eyes stray from the book and lock with hers. James clears his throat and says, "I noticed you were sitting with Jonathan Wood. He plays for Ravenclaw."

"I noticed you staring," Phoebe says curtly, leaning back in her chair. She fights a smile at the way he rubs the back of his neck, something that he seems to do frequently when he's embarrassed.

"It's hard for me to not stare at a pretty girl," James says finally. Phoebe feels an intense amount of butterflies erupt in her stomach. She doesn't let it show though, beyond a tiny coy smile that James immediately catches. He grins and says happily, "I was hoping you'd have some insight for the match this weekend."

"You mean you were hoping Jonathan spilled all of his quidditch secrets?"

James nods at her question, leaning forward and propping his elbows up on the table. Phoebe pretends to ponder for a moment before saying, "I've got some of his secrets. But what's in it for me?"

James smirks and leans in further, saying, "Whatever you want, Griffin. I'll be happy to deliver."

His eyes zero in on her lower lip between her teeth and he has to fight the urge to pull her across the table to snog the life out of her. Phoebe sighs, drawing his attention, clouded with lust, back to her.

"I can't think of something I want right now, so I'll save it for later. Jonathan is going straight for you, was talking about how every bludger he got he was going to send your way."

James nods at her words, fighting back a smile at how serious she sounds. She continues quietly, "Apparently, their seeker has been sick since the start of term. They don't think he can manage to catch the snitch. He said their only hope is to keep you away from it."

"How did you get him to spill all of this?" James asks, chuckling slightly at her proud smile. She grins and leans in, mirroring his arms on the table.

"We both know I could get anything I want out of you too, Potter," She scoffs. "Marlene says it's my spooky powers."

She seems shocked when James confirms, "It's true. You could get whatever you want out of me."

Phoebe blinks rapidly before narrowing her eyes and asking, "and why is that?"

James shrugs and smirks, pretending to lock his lips and throw away the key. Phoebe's heart stirs as she laughs quietly at the boy, oblivious to the other 3 marauders watching on with smiles. James too feels a fluttering in his chest that he attempts to cover up with confidence.

He runs his hand through his hair and sends her an easy going grin before asking, "You'll be at the match?"

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it."

"Good. Come see me before it, okay? Just sneak into the locker room....if your up to the challenge that is."

Phoebe grins and says quietly, "you're on, Potter."