tap tap tap

{Thanks for being so patient. I wrote this on my computer so I'm not too sure how its going to read. I guess I'll find out!}

Grimmauld place is bustling with the sounds of Order members catching up.

Many had recently returned to London after carrying out several missions, including Remus and the Prewett Twins. James had been ecstatic to reunite with his friends, even accepting Gideon's sloppy kiss on the cheek and boisterous laughter. He hides his smile when Lily Evans runs to Fabian and jumps into his arms with a happy laugh, his heart warming at the sight. James was glad to see her so happy, so content. He'd been foolish to think that they'd end up together. He quite liked having her as a friend, just not as his forever. 

He'd been lucky enough to find forever along the way. 

James glances over at where his wife is standing, listening to Minerva McGonagall rant about this year's students at Hogwarts. Phoebe smiles politely and nods along as the professor speaks. Her hair is in low knot on her head today, her hair still too short for James to plait it for her. She rolled her eyes whenever he would try, but he knew she secretly loved it. Though not as much as she loved her short hair. He loved it too. 

Freedom suited her quite nicely. 

He tilts his head to the side when Phoebe shifts on her feet, her eyes drifting from McGonagall and instead focusing on the wall, her face zoned out. James' brow furrow when she rests one hand on her growing belly. His gaze shifts too, zeroing in on the way her fingertips of her other hand are tapping methodically against the side of her leg. Notes. 

James hadn't seen her nervously tapping out notes from her cello in some time. Something was wrong. She had been quiet since this morning, her attitude subdued. She explained it away as back pain and nausea, but James was quickly coming to believe that something weird had happened earlier when she and Sirius had been out. She'd said they'd just taken a walk, but now James wasn't so sure. He looks to his friend, finding that Sirius looks as happy and cheeky as always. 

He glances back at Phoebe and sees that she's sat down at the table now. He tries to seem nonchalant as he walks over and takes the seat next to her, his voice light as he asks, "Sure you're doing alright, love?"

"Yes, James," She sighs, glancing up at him with her lips pursed in a half smile. Her eyes however lack mirth or the standard glint of mischief. Instead, they're glazed over with distress. Just as he opens his mouth to ask what the hell had happened this morning, Dumbledore enters, accompanied by the familiar thunking of Mad eye Moody's walking stick. James can't help but sigh to himself, a frown twisting his lips as Dumbledore begins, the room falling quiet, 

"First and foremost, let us all welcome back Fabian, Gideon, Amelia, Mundungus and Remus."

Sirius whistles, the room erupting in applause as the Prewetts take a bow, Gideon forcing Remus to as well. James flashes a reluctant smile at his flushed werewolf friend, feeling an overwhelming sense of pride. This was the same boy that had cried when the Marauders found out his secret, the same boy that was terrified that no one would like him anymore if they found out he liked boys instead of girls. The same boy that found bravery in knowledge. 

Today, he was brave in all senses of the word. A true Gryffindor. Always had been, always would be. Sirius and James share a quick look of melancholy, a satisfied smile on his face. The only thing missing was Peter. James' brows furrow at the thought but he brushes it aside, instead turning back to Dumbledore as his voice once again draws the attention of the room. 

"Now an interesting matter has...been brought to my attention," Dumbledore says quietly, voice sounding slightly unsure. James feels a prickle of nervousness, that prickle causing his palms to sweat when his old headmaster locks eyes with him. Dumbledore visibly hesitates before continuing slowly, 

"Lucius Malfoy is talking about you, James."

Phoebe grows stiff from beside him and James wonders confusedly, "What the fuck does the prick want with me?"

"Mr. Potter!" Minerva cries, face appalled by his language. James barely spares her a glance, instead focusing on Dumbledore with narrowed eyes as the old wizard replies, "I'm not certain. All I know is that he is hoping to run into yo. It doesn't seem like an attack...more like he wants to communicate. He was hanging around Diagon Alley this evening with Severus and your name came up."

Phoebe stirs in her seat, enough to look over James' head and make eye contact with a very pale looking Sirius. It seems that both the Veela and her best friend are coming to the same realization. They were in danger this morning. More than they originally thought. Phoebe winces at the sight of Sirius' guilty face.

"I...I think I might know why he wants to talk to James."

James jumps, startled by his wife's timid voice. She'd hardly said more than ten words to him the whole day. He quickly glances at her and his nerves turn to fear. Phoebe actively avoids his gaze, instead staring at the table before her as she murmurs, 

"He knows that I'm pregnant."

James' face grows stony as the room falls silent. Dumbledore's eyes widen behind his glasses, his voice taking on the same edge from earlier as he wonders, "And how--"

"Snape saw me today. I was in Diagon Alley this morning," Phoebe interrupts hurriedly, her fingers tapping incessantly against her legs now. James stares at her silently, heart frozen in his chest as her voice wavers, "He saw and then he ran off. He must have told...I think they all probably know now."

Her fingers keep tapping. Tap. tap. tap. The gentle thrum the only sound besides James' beating heart and he finally explodes, his chair flying back as he stands and says angrily, "What the fuck were you doing in Diagon Alley?!"

"Oh shit," Gideon mumbles, slowly shuffling his chair to hide behind Remus. Remus sighs and rolls his eyes, too invested in the fight unfolding before them to ridicule his boyfriend. 

Phoebe freezes again at James' shout, though this time her grey eyes are narrowed with irritation, not wide with fear. She smiles, a sickly sweet one that causes even Madeye to glance at the exits out of the tense kitchen. 

"I was shopping for our child," Phoebe says simply, tone leaving no room for questions. James had never been very good at social cues however, his voice equally as curt as he retorts, "You're lying to me."

"Prove it."

James feels his cheeks flushed with anger, his hands clenching by his sides. This girl never failed to challenge him. So, he decides to take a page out of her book then. He pushes his chair in and looks at Dumbledore, his voice firm as he says lowly, "I'll be back."

"Where do you think you're going?" Phoebe asks, her hand grabbing onto the table to steady herself as she stands. James wants to go to her, to help her get comfortable. But he's so angry he can hardly see straight. He can hardly look at her.

He exhales harshly through his nose, replying coldly,

"To see what Lucius Malfoy wants from me. To see what damage you have done."

Phoebe recoils like she's been slapped, her heart dropping to her stomach as James disapparates and the room grows even more tense around her. 

Damage. 

There seemed to be an awful lot of that now.