Water

"This is pathetic," Phoebe announces sourly.

James snorts from where he kneels by the prefect's marble bathtub. It was more like a swimming pool, but Phoebe didn't mind. She loved the water. Lily had eagerly told James the password to the prefects bathroom after she and the girls had bombarded Phoebe with hugs and tears and weepy words.

So here they were, finally released from the hospital wing as long as she stayed under "Mr. Potter's watchful eye." Phoebe had nearly burst a blood vessel from how hard she'd laughed at that one.

Phoebe scoops some of the pink bubbles closer to her chest, building a soft mountain and then smacking it back down into the water.

James wrinkles his nose when some of the water splashes his shirt, saying lowly, "Quit splashing, you big baby."

Phoebe smirks and throws some suds his way, biting down on her lower lip when his white undershirt becomes see through from the water.

"You could come in," Phoebe offers coyly, reluctantly moving her eyes from his toned chest to his face. James quirks a brow, his lips twitching at the corners despite his attempts to look stern.

"Turn around and let me finish," He says simply, not replying to her suggestive words. He tried very hard to not laugh when her smirk falls and she lets out a 'hrumph.'

She turns her back to him and crosses her arms over her chest, rolling her eyes as he returns his hands to her hair.

James' smile softens at the feeling of her pearly hair between his hands, glad to see it returned to its normal luster with the rest of her being. She was humming with life, a stark contrast to the scene he'd witnessed days ago.

Phoebe's eyes flutter shut when he gently leans her back and scoops water over her hair. She doesn't open them when she speaks, murmuring softly,

"You should have seen them in class today James. Looking at me."

His hands falter slightly at her quiet words, his brow furrowing. He sighs quietly, quickly realizing that the silence of the room is making her retreat into the dark parts of her mind. Gently, he leans her forward.

Her lips quirk when she hears a belt buckle hit the floor and sloshing of water, a hand gently touching her ankle underneath the bubbles and warm bath water.

Lips gently meet her own, soft and firm. A reminder that she's not alone. When their lips separate, Phoebe blinks her eyes open and takes in the sight of James Potter.

He's sitting close to her, his glasses gone with the rest of his clothes. Phoebe reaches up and pushes back his wet hair, saying peacefully,

"Fancied a swim?"

James laughs quietly, snaking his arms around her waist and pulling her to his chest. He rests his chin on her head, closing his eyes and soaking in the feeling of her being this close. His heart swells when she whispers into the quiet room,

"You make me strong."

He gently pushes her back so her can see her face, see her grey eyes that only show the sincerity of her words and love. James cups her cheeks, rubbing his thumbs against the damp supple skin. He weighs the options of what to say carefully. He doesn't want to scare her, but he can't help it. He has to say it or he's going to implode.

"I'm going to marry you, Phoebe Griffin."

Her eyes widen slightly. But she doesn't panic, much to both her and James' surprise. She stews on his words for a few quiet moments, watching as nerves make him look away and break their eye contact.

"Okay."

James is the one who is surprised. He quickly turns his head back to her, waiting for her to her to say she's just kidding. She doesn't. He blinks at her dumbly, a goofy grin playing at his previously pursed lips.

"Okay?" He asks, like he's checking to make sure that she knows what she's saying. Phoebe let's out a snort of laughter at his face, wondering cheekily,

"Would you rather I say something else?"

"W-well no! Of course not!" James cries, flushing with embarrassment. More laughter escapes his girlfriend, making him turn more and more red.

He dunks her under the bubbles surrounding them, laughing as she splutters. When she surfaces there's a spark in her eye he hadn't seen in sometime.

"You git!" She cries, splashing the water into his face. James gags at the taste of soap, saying loudly,

"This means war, Griffin!!"

Phoebe let's out a shriek as James dives for her, quickly propelling herself through the water and towards the other side of the far too big tub. James grabs her slippery ankle and hauls her back towards him, the sounds of their laughter echoing in the bathroom.

He holds her bridal style and dunks her backwards, grinning uncontrollably when she comes back up with a wide smile on her face.

"You're lucky I love you, Potter," She warns, playfully skipping a tiny flame across the water to him. James pauses, taken aback at the flames longevity in the water. Phoebe smiles at his childlike wonder and grabs his hands, pressing them together to form a cup. She settled her hands in his and watches his face as flames spring from the center of her palm.

To an outsider, it would be hard to tell who was holding the flame, James or Phoebe. His large hands cup her small ones and he savors this new act of intimacy. He'd never wanted to pressure her or make her more uncomfortable than she already was with her different magic. But being this close to the flame dancing on her palm was incredible. He studies her hand and after all of this time he still expects to see blistering from burns. But they're perfectly fine, just wrinkled from the water she'd been soaking in.

Phoebe laughs quietly and James continues to stare in awe as the flame disappears, like it's been called home to the fire that lives within her. He pulls her closer by their joined hands, deciding that words aren't enough to explain what she does to him.

She's still smiling when they kiss, and he decides quickly it's his new favorite thing about kissing her.

They take their time, slow and relaxed and peaceful because in here they have all of the time in the world.

{{something short and sweet :)) I'm buttering you guys up because you're going to hate me in approximately 10 chapters. Just a heads up ;)}}