Chapter 1

~~~ Very quick note; I wrote this chapter and A/N in like, April~~~

It had been months since the war ended. Months since the Resistance had stood up against Eggman and took the world back from him. Months since (Y/N) had joined the team, saved the world, and left. Months since the (a/t) had seen Sonic; since they had spoken on that cliffside.

The (f/c) (a/t) had not seen her former team since she had left, and she thinks it was best that it stayed that way. The emotions she felt had been far too strong, to overwhelming, stressful. Though she had to admit, in all the rush, she had really grown out of her shell. She spoke now, not afraid to ask people on the streets questions; like where her family was.

(Y/N) had tried to return home after the fighting, but when she had arrived, all that was left was rubble, the simple residential house having been destroyed in the battle. All she could confirm was that her family hadn't been caught in it, and they had, in fact, gotten out. So that's what she had been doing the past few months, searching the city for her family, asking any stranger if they had seen them. The (a/t) had recovered a photo from the wreckage, showing it to anyone that would look at her. Most people would shake their heads and say they hadn't seen them.

But that hadn't deterred the (a/t), and as more and more people returned to the city, returned to find their homes smashed and start the huge cleaning process; she wouldn't hesitate to ask them if they saw these people on their travels.

However, it was all the same, with people saying they hadn't seen them, or that they had their own problems to deal with, or even things like 'why would I have? I was on the run, not looking for some stranger's family.'

Today seemed no different, as the clouds floated through the sky, slowly pushing the red glow of dust and dirt away and making room for the familiar blue. There was a breeze that moved through the city, the first cool day in a long time, a day that felt like change. The (a/t) may have lost some hope, but she wasn't giving up just yet.

While families cleaned their homes, helped neighbours, rebuilt, (Y/N) strolled through the streets, looking out for anyone new to ask for any help. In her mind, her family should have returned by now, and it was very suspicious that they hadn't, so any signs that they had gotten away would be a boost for the (a/t)'s disappearing hope.

And then she came across a family, a rat and his two children. When showing him the picture, he nodded and told the (a/t) that he had seen her family helping others in the next town over, they had even helped him and his children. (Y/N)'s ears perked at this and her tail wagged. She thanked the kind rat, before asking which town it was in. He shrugged, saying he was in such a rush he couldn't remember, but that the town was west of here.

The (a/t) thanked them, making her way through the town with her head now held high. It was a start, though she wasn't sure where exactly she was going, she knew which way west was, and that was a better start than nothing.

On her way through the ruins, she made sure to stop in and grab a few things from the Resistance's H.Q. After all, she was a part of them. Now stocked with food and her grappling hook by her side, the (a/t) was ready to go find her parents. She left the H.Q, without running into anyone she knew. And (Y/N) was glad for that. She wasn't sure how awkward it would be if she ran into anyone again, especially Sonic of all people.

(Y/N) couldn't help but dwell on it as she left the building, walking past the cliff face they had spoken at months ago. She hadn't allowed herself to think about it since she had left but being there brought up some very strong emotions. So much had happened during the war, so much that she was burying away.