Chapter 16

To say the next week that passed was awkward would be a heavy understatement. (Y/N) had almost completely stopped talking to Sonic, and the blue hedgehog wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. They were still staking out Eggman's base every day, taking notes and making marks on the blueprints when anything happened. However, no matter how hard they worked together, the tension was still... Tense. It was definitely affecting Sonic's focus.

It was like the (a/t) had reverted back to her mute self from before the war. She'd only make comments when she needed to, and it was making Sonic feel guilty, like he had been far too harsh about his feelings and choices. It was so strange, considering she had been so talkative since he saved her, and now it was like she was a ghost. Even Haven noticed it, though she said nothing, which was nice.

To see her hiding back in her shell, it was really getting to Sonic, her confidence had been shaken and it was because of him. He was torn between being firm in his decision and wanting to throw it all away and fix his relationship with the (a/t). But... He just couldn't bring himself to do it, not with his past. And he couldn't let it get to him, not while they were planning to storm the base and save (Y/N)'s family. It was on the top of his priority list. He needed to keep his head in the game.

It was another day of staking out the base, the two sitting up in the tree, the air thick with tension once again. However, this stakeout was different because it was more than a stakeout. The two were going inside. Both Sonic and (Y/N) were watching the building, not uttering a word to each other. This was drama that neither needed, but neither could ignore. Sonic wasn't sure what to do about it. They had a plan for the base already, they just needed to get inside and do their parts.

But... As the hedgehog sat there, he knew he couldn't leave things the way they were, they wouldn't work well as a team like this, and he needed to get that beautiful chemistry back. He turned to the (a/t), who was still staring at the base, as still as a statue. She didn't even flinch when he moved.

"Hey," He started, chewing on his lip, "I know this past week has been... Strange... But I'm really hoping we can pull through it."

She glanced at him.

"Because... Well, we need to act as a team while doing this, and we won't be able to if you're barely talking to me." Sonic held out his hand, a small earpiece resting in his gloved palm. Tails had given him them back at HQ, before (Y/N) had returned from her trip to the cliff; the other was already in his ear, "Communication is key. Or so I've heard."

The (a/t) huffed, taking the earpiece, "Only took you a week to say something about it."

"I wasn't sure if you'd want to hear anything from me."

(Y/N) shrugged, not hinting at whether Sonic was right or not before she secured the earpiece and got to her feet, stretching,

"We better get going. The sooner I save my family, the sooner I can get my life back to normal."

Sonic's ears perked to this and he tilted his head at her in curiosity, "What do you mean by that?"

Another shrug, "I'd like to return to my life before the war, before I became a hero and met you."

The blue hedgehog flinched at that. He knew he had hurt her, but he didn't think she'd say something just as hurtful back. His stomach suddenly felt light and fluttery, and he swallowed a lump in his throat,

"I know that's not true; you're just saying that because you're angry with me, and I get that, but you're not thinking straight."

"What do you know?" The (a/t) scoffed at him.

Before he could respond, she was already jumping towards the ground and heading for the base. The hedgehog watched her, feeling torn. If he had known this was going to happen to their friendship, he wouldn't have been so harsh about his decision. But what was he supposed to do about it now?