Chapter 5

The fall was definitely longer than (Y/N) thought it would be, or maybe she had already hit the ground and was just imagining the feeling of floating through the air. The wind had changed direction, instead of coming from under her, it was now pushing in front of her. Had she really just died, and not felt a thing? She thought the ground would be harder than that, more uncomfortable and forceful, not so... Simple.

She opened her eyes slowly, finding that she was, in fact, still in the air, moving down the length of a building. The only difference to her scenario, was that she wasn't alone. Instead, she was in the arms of a blue hedgehog, and it, shamefully, took her a moment to realise who it was. It also took her a moment to realise she wasn't falling but was being carried down the building.

"S... Sonic...?" She asked, not sure if he could even hear her voice over the bellowing wind.

Emerald eyes met her own, and he flashed her his trademark smile, before finally reaching the ground and coming to a halt. (Y/N) was in shock, not sure if she really had died, or just been saved. The warmth coming from him felt like evidence enough, and the feeling as her legs gave way when he put her down sealed the deal.

"Hey hey." The blue hedgehog caught her as she collapsed, "Easy (Y/N), that was a terrifying fall."

Sonic wasn't meant to be here, he was meant to be off saving the rest of the world... Or something... Right? There was no way he was here right now, she never thought she'd see him again. Did Amy, or Tails or Knuckles know he was here?

He set her down gently, but the (a/t) could do nothing but stare at him. He literally came to her rescue, right when she thought she couldn't be saved. The hedgehog studied her for a moment, an awkward, lop-sided grin sitting loosely on his muzzle.

"Are you okay?" He asked, and the question was like a trigger for the pain coursing through her body.

She let out a gasp, her hands shooting up to her sides, and her body went ridged. It was unbearable, as if she was on fire and like she'd been hit by a truck. She still couldn't feel the cuts from the shattered window because her ribs were screaming as if the souls of the damned resided in her lungs. Sonic's eyes narrowed for a moment, and he knelt next to her, examining her side. He gave a confirming nod, mumbling something to himself, before standing and turning his attention to his metal counterpart.

"I'll get this fight over and done with, and then we'll get you some help." Sonic said, his eyes searching the dark sky, "But for now, sit tight until I get back. And (Y/N)?"

He turned his head back to her, the (a/t)'s eyes met his instantly, and she felt her cheeks warm. He then averted his gaze, turning his head away.

"It's good to see you again."

(Y/N) gave a curt nod in response, and Sonic gave her a thumbs up, before turning his attention back to the sky and spindashing up the side of the building. The (a/t) watched him go, and her cheeks warmed even more. She had gone totally speechless around him. She had managed to act normally around everyone else after not seeing them for months, but she closed up around Sonic.

In her defence, she was in too much pain to really do anything. It wasn't something she felt when falling, but after coming down from the adrenaline rush of being thrown out a window, her jaw was wired shut in an attempt to take some of the pain away. The (a/t) also wasn't expecting to see the hedgehog again, his appearance was a complete surprise. She knew she'd properly thank him once he came back from the fight.

Meanwhile, Sonic went from spinning to running up the side of the building, his metal counterpart floating near the broken window. A frown pulled at his muzzle, his mind racing. Why would Eggman actually try to murder someone? It didn't seem like him at all. Sure, he'd kidnap people, maybe starve them but he'd never take a life. As soon as Sonic got close enough, Metal Sonic attacked. He flies at Sonic, and the hedgehog's frown turned to a smirk. He could ponder it later, right now it was time for action.