Chapter 25

Happy New Year!!!

I'm sorry I haven't made a post or anything for Christmas or New Years yet, I was really busy with work (and then I went on a much needed holiday)

Here's chapter 25 to start off the new year, and to remind ya'll that I ain't dead lol

Writing's been slow, but it's getting there. I discuss it a bit more in a later chapter that I've been working on the past week but... I'm here, and I will be getting this story done. So for now, enjoy!

Finally, the two made it to the final level. The (a/t) was happy to have her feet on the ground, and Sonic was happy he could finally let go of the cable. He forced the elevator doors open, the two blinking in the harsh light that enveloped them.

"Alright buddy, lead the way." Sonic said, his emerald eyes scanning the area for any threats.

Tails led them through the level, telling them which way to go and what turns to take. It was awfully quiet, the cold feeling still sat at the pit of (Y/N)'s stomach. She knew Eggman was expecting them, they were expecting him to expect them, but for some reason, something felt... Off.

"Looks like Eggman is still fretting about the cameras back on the surface." Tails said, "But be careful, there are a few more cameras ahead, he's bound to notice you guys."

So... He hadn't noticed them yet. (Y/N) and Sonic smirked. This mission just turned stealth.

"Not yet he's not." The (a/t) said, holding up her grappling hook.

They came to the first corner that contained a camera around the side, and then it was (Y/N)'s turn to grab Sonic by the waist and swing them both between the blind spots. All that training had really come in handy, and she couldn't help but smile to herself in pride.

"I knew you'd get the hang of it." Sonic said.

"I wasn't all that worried, I felt pretty confident after all that practicing, we did yesterday."

"Practice makes perfect." Sonic winked.

"Guys, focus." The eyeroll from Tails was clear, "You're getting closer to the holding zone."

The Holding Zone. The place where Eggman was supposedly, as stated by the notes held in his computer, holding his prisoners. It was possible he had changed the name from 'jail' or 'cellblock' to throw the heroes off, it was also possible he just wanted to seem cool. It was probably that last one.

"Sorry Tails." (Y/N) gave a sheepish chuckle.

After swinging around a few more corners and cameras, the two landed outside a large, steel door. The (a/t) let Sonic go and the two studied the obstacle in front of them. The door was huge, standing two, possibly even three times the size of the two heroes. Sonic huffed to himself, before turning his attention back onto the hallway, arms crossed over his chest like some sort of wannabe bouncer. (Y/N) made her way over to the control panel on the side of the door,

"What's the password?" She asked aloud.

"8357 8055." The golden fox responded, chuckling to himself, "His ego should have made that obvious."

"Fair enough." The (a/t) shrugged, typing the password in.

The door gave out a loud hiss, causing Sonic's attention to snap back to it, and the two watched as it opened. At first, there was nothing, no response, no movements. The two waited in tense anticipation, and then it happened. Alarms blared around them, lights dropping from the ceiling and flashing red. (Y/N) jumped, and Sonic huffed, reacting quickly and pulling the (a/t) into the room.