Chapter 11

(Y/N) and Sonic snuck through the large base, the two sticking close together in the darkness. Silence surrounded them, continuously broken by their footsteps, but nothing else. The halls felt dead, the metal cold and lifeless. There were no sounds of any mechanics, technology, the place seemed to have been abandoned.

"You'd think that." Sonic whispered, hearing the (a/t)'s concerns, "But there are a surprising amount of bases that look abandoned, yet still have their main computer system up and running."

"So... How are we supposed to decipher them from actual occupied bases?" The (a/t) asked, her ears lowering.

"Well they're just as useful, not as dangerous, sometimes more tricky." Sonic shrugged.

"What... Does that mean?"

The hedgehog then stopped, holding his hand out in front of her. She stopped abruptly, giving him a confused glance, but the hedgehog motioned towards their feet. Sure enough, a faint red line blinked just in front of them. The (a/t)'s ears perked, and the two stepped over it cautiously.

"The computers still have sensitive information." Sonic explained, helping her over the sensor, "He can't just... Shut them down, he'll lose the work stored on them, and it's something he's always thinking he'll come back to. Of course, he doesn't want us finding this out. Which is why we know so much about it."

(Y/N) chuckled at that, surprised by Sonic's skills in stealth, and his cheeky sneakiness about the situation. He's done this far too many times. She wondered if many of them had a purpose, or if he just liked to poke his nose around in Eggman's business. Either way, his skill was awfully helpful, and though she never expected Sonic to be a quiet person ever, she was grateful he knew when the occasion occurred.

The (a/t) let out a sigh, before blinking and shaking her head. She had to get back in the zone and focus, any mistake could have them found out and it would make finding her family way harder than it needs to be. With the help of Sonic, the two managed to get through the rest of the hallways quickly, stepping over motion sensors and avoiding any stray cameras. It didn't take long to find the computer room.

Once inside, the two relaxed, Sonic shaking his shoulders as if to get rid of any tension. They looked around for a moment, before (Y/N)'s eyes stopped on their hands, still intertwined. Sonic seemed to sense her stare, and his eyes caught their hands as well. It took a moment, then the two let go, their cheeks both turning red, though not visible in the dark.

"R-Right." Sonic cleared his throat, stepping further into the room. (Y/N) watched his outline, holding her hand to her chest, "Thankfully this room has no cameras, since Eggman would usually spend 80% of his time here anyway."

"Lucky." (Y/N) said, stepping up to the blank computer screens.

Sonic stepped next to her, his hand moving over the control panel in front of them. Like magic, his finger found the power button and the screens lit up, briefly blinding the two with white screens as they booted up for the first time in who knows how long. Bright red letters appeared across the screen, a cliché 'Welcome Dr. Eggman' moving across the screen before it went blue.

The hedgehog took that as his cue to start typing, (Y/N) stepping back to keep out of his way. Her eyes stayed on the screen, on the occasion flicking to the hedgehog as he worked his way through the computer. His typing was fast, she couldn't keep up with him.

"You need smarts when the smart guy isn't here." He gave an off-handed comment, pressing one more key.

A file opened on the screen, showing a list of documents. The two heroes stared at it hungrily, before Sonic snapped himself back into the action and he started searching for anything mentioning the (a/t)'s family. (Y/N) did her best to search as well, but Sonic was clearly much faster, skimming each page in moments, before scrolling onto the next one.

To the hedgehog's disappointment, he found no mention of the (a/t)'s family being held at this base, however to his relief, there was mention of holding captives at a new base. Sonic's eyes narrowed as he read the information, completely clueless about this new base. Had Eggman been able to build one right under his nose?

He frowned to himself, typing the coordinates into the computer, and another base popped up on the screen. A large, 3D map of the building spun slowly in front of the two heroes' views. (Y/N) stepped next to Sonic then, asking what she was looking at.

"I don't know, I'm trying to figure it out too." Sonic admitted, rubbing his muzzle, "Apparently Eggman built a new base after we beat him in the war, and chances of your family being there are really high."

"How do you know that?"

The hedgehog explained his findings, how nothing about them is really mentioned, until he found info regarding this building and there being 'captives' held there. It's a hunch, but Sonic believes the 'captives' could be the (a/t)'s family, and possibly even other innocents.

"It's hard to say, but we can always confirm this sort of intel with Tails." Sonic said, pulling a USB from his quills.

(Y/N) blinked, staring at the small device in the hedgehog's hands. Why did he have a USB on his person? Does he always have that on him? What could he need a USB for? Does he always do this sort of thing? Was he planning to come and help this whole time?

She shook her head at the last question, it seemed so unlikely. Considering what she's learnt about the hedgehog, it's clear he goes to Eggman's bases a lot, he probably collects as much info as possible and returns it to Tails to look through. It's actually... Very genius.

The hedgehog plugged it into the computer, a box popping up. He clicked a few times, before a bar appeared, moving ever so slowly. He then closed that tab and went back to studying the map.

"Wait a sec... I know where that is." Sonic mumbled to himself, and (Y/N) gave him a questioning glance. He didn't offer an explanation, and instead, he pulled the now finished USB and grabbed the (a/t)'s arm, pulling her out into the hallway.

"We need to get to the Resistance HQ now, Tails needs to see this."

(Y/N) stumbled after the hedgehog but nodded. Sonic took that as his cue to scoop the (a/t) back up into his arms, and he took off through the building, back to the entrance they made, and helped her through it once again. The (a/t), though alarmed, couldn't help but smile once she was back in Sonic's arms again, she could finally have a location, they might finally be able to find and save her family! Sonic lowered his gaze to her then, his seriousness melted for a moment, and he offered her a smile, helping ease the alarm that seemed to surround them.

"Don't worry, as soon as we're back at HQ and know what we're dealing with, we can figure out our next move."

(Y/N) gave a determined nod, wondering what had gotten the hedgehog so spooked, but trusting that he had it under control. They shared a look of triumph, and Sonic took that as his next cue to speed up and through the forest.