Chapter 21

A/N: I'm not dead! I'm not dead. Sorry for the lack of updates, here's one to prove I'm not dead :) Just reaaaaallllllly busy and trying to get back into writing.

A cool breeze moved through the trees, rustling the leaves, and making them fall from their branches. (Y/N) sat under a tree, watching one of the leaves danced through the sky, before gently finishing its performance in the stream, the water taking it from centre stage. Some fish moved to the surface, poking at the leaf that fell, before one of them snatched it from the surface. A small splash, something no one else would see, set a heavy feeling in the (a/t)'s stomach.

(Y/N) was doing her best to take the chance she got to have a break and recover. Her mind felt like a messy fog, and the days seemed to drag on. How long was this mission going to take? Being around Sonic this much was driving her crazy. The (a/t) had barely been able to sleep, and her limbs still felt like they were buzzing with electricity.

She had found this stream yesterday, and the soft sound of nature seemed to be the only thing to help ease her mind. The cool breeze was helping cool her warm face and the tingling in her arms. Listening to the trickling water was soothing as well, a constant, steady stream instead of loud crashing and metal hitting metal, or flesh. She shook her head, trying to keep her mind off of their failed mission, but for some reason, today the water and wind just wasn't helping her.

Much like the leaf, she felt like she was constantly performing, going from a nobody in the streets, to a hero that has to keep fighting off evil. It wasn't that she didn't like it, but she was trying to deal with far too much, and she was glad to finally have a few days where she didn't have to use her brain. Maybe after she got her family back, hero things could go back to normal, whatever 'normal' was.

Would her life ever be normal again?

(Y/N) let out a loud sigh, resting her head back on the tree. It hardly seemed like it, especially now that she had accepted Sonic's wishes. Even still, it felt like there was something wrong. She was trying to fix it, to do her best to make things go back to the way they were, but everything she tried to do, talk, accept, move on, it just wasn't working. How was she meant to cope knowing their feelings, and still pushing each other away?

It frustrated her, knowing that this trivial thing had taken up so much of her time and energy. Her family was meant to be top priority, and yet she's stuck debating feelings for someone. Why couldn't she just focus on her goals and think of a plan to save her family? Nothing seemed to come to mind, but even if she could think of something, they had no definite answer that her family were being held captive in Eggman's new base at all. They could be anywhere. And Eggman's words rung in her head.

"They're close by... But that doesn't matter to you now that you're about to meet your demise."

Close by? That could mean anywhere, it could mean another base miles away for all the (a/t) knew. It's something Eggman could have said to throw her off. Considering how his surprise plan worked, it wouldn't surprise her if he said those words on purpose.

(Y/N)'s ears perked to the sound of footsteps, and she curled up, hugging her knees as Sonic walked out from the tree line. Great, he wasn't exactly the person she wanted to see right now... The hedgehog scanned the area, the (a/t) assuming he was looking for her, his emerald eyes soon landed on hers and he made his way over to the still curled up (a/t). He sat next to her, not saying anything. The two sat there in an awkward silence for a while, and (Y/N) started to wonder why he had even bothered to come find her.

Dammit, she had been doing so well worrying about something other than him, why did he have to show up and once again distract her? Why did he insist on pushing her away, yet being around her all the time? They still said nothing, the (a/t) wanted to break this tense silence, and it looked like Sonic wanted too as well. For a while they both seemed to struggle with speaking, and it was driving her insane. Why do you have to make this so damn hard for us both, Sonic? Why can't you be a simple 'yes or no' person?