Chapter 28

Hey everyone! I hope this chapter is as invigorating as the rest of them! I admit I struggle a bit with keeping up the urgency here, but I hope it's still being conveyed either way. Enjoy the chapter! There's only one left after this ^u^

The ceiling was full of cracks and breaks, showing a view of the floor above them as it slowly started to come crashing down. Three out of the four walls were gone now, one of the gaping holes entrapping a large, headless mantis robot. (Y/N) searched the area for its head and noticed that it couldn't be found. Eggman surely must have made his escape by now.

Exactly as Sonic and (Y/N) were trying to do.

The (a/t) was worried now, having realised that she had no idea how the two were going to get out of this. While she trusted Sonic fully, usually she could see a chance of escape or survival. Right now, it felt impossible. There were countless floors above them, all about to come crashing down. How were they meant to get through all that?

Sonic eventually came to a stop, realising he couldn't strategize what he couldn't see. He set the (a/t) down and stared at the ceiling with a look of seriousness. (Y/N) watched him, not entirely sure what to do now. Sonic could sense her worry, and started tapping his foot as he tried to think of something.

"Yeah... I kinda forgot about the whole being many floors underground part." The blue hedgehog admitted, scratching his head, "But don't worry, we'll get out of this in one piece, I'll make sure of it."

He turned to her and gave her a thumbs up, making the (f/c) (a/t) smile. She couldn't help it, the blasted hedgehog made her feel so much safer so easily.

"Alright, I think I have a plan." Sonic said, nodding to himself now, "Wanna hear it?"

She gave a silent nod and the hedgehog pointed towards the crumbling ceiling,

"There's some gaps forming already, if we can time it right, we should be able to get through them with ease." Some rubble fell near the two, and Sonic ignored it, " This whole place is coming down, I wouldn't be surprised if the other floors are crumbling as we speak, so technically we should be able to squeeze our way through any small gaps we can find."

"Right."

The ground started to shake below them, and a loud boom sounded from above, closely followed by another.

"Aight, let's get out of here." Sonic smiled, reaching for the (a/t), "Before we become panca-"

As the two were reaching for each other, a piece of the ceiling came crashing down towards them. The (a/t)'s ears perked to the sound, and she glanced up, eyes wide,

"Sonic look out-!" She jumped forward, pushing him out of the way.

The blue hedgehog stumbled back, eyes widening as he watches the (a/t) trip in front of him. He tried to get his footing, but was already in motion as he fell back, and the ceiling hit the ground with a sickening thud, followed by a scream of pain. Smoke and dust rose around the two, and Sonic coughed it away, waving his hand,

"(Y/N)?!" He yelled, jumping to his feet and running over, "(Y/N)?! Answer me!"

Another, much smaller cry came from the dust, and Sonic used his speed to clear it away. (Y/N) was coughing, waving her hand in front of her face, but she looked dazed, and a little drip of blood was coming down her forehead. Sonic knelt next to her, checking to see if she was okay. That's when he noticed her legs weren't visible, instead they were trapped under the fallen debris.

"Sonic..." Her voice was weak, and she lifted her head as he moved next to her, "You're okay."

"Yeah, but you're not." Sonic said, his mind in a panic. It was running a mile a minute to try and figure out what to do. For the first time in a long time, he felt his body freezing up.