Chapter 14

A/N: I... Am sorry in advance (not really) I just love my girl and I haven't written anything with her for ages ^^' so uh, I knew I needed to implement her in the story and uh... This chapter is hella fecking long... Enjoy!

It wasn't long before the two were running through the forest, (y/N) once again held in Sonic's arms. The warmth of his body felt like a comfort, but the (a/t)'s mind was now elsewhere, distracted. She had felt distracted since they had arrived back at the Resistance HQ. Something about being back there was sitting with her, bringing back memories of old. And with Sonic no doubt. He hadn't even been with the Resistance long, having been Eggman's captive, but man he really made an impression in the short days they had shared. Especially when the two separated on that cliff.

That damn cliff.

Why did it have to be such a hard topic to bring up? Something always seemed to get in the way, whether being interrupted, or forced to ignore it. It was driving her mad, and the (a/t) couldn't figure out why. It had been months since that kiss had happened, months since she had seen Sonic; she thought she had left those feelings back there on that cliff, but after visiting it again, her chest throbbed with a mix of anxiety and a deep sadness, a longing she felt like she couldn't grasp.

She knew he shared her feelings, at the time anyway, and she knew why he had turned her down, but that was months ago, surely things had changed since then. And being back at the HQ had only strengthened these thoughts, these feelings that just wouldn't go away. It felt like it was becoming harder and harder to ignore, especially with all the alone time they seemed to get today, alone time that Sonic had avoided, and now the two were going to have for as long as this mission takes. To think one moment apart had caused a rift between the two, mere hours ago, when things had felt so alien and alone, and then they shared a smile, and they were back to the silent agreement of ignorance.

She let out a mental sigh, trying to find a way to take her mind off these strange, spiralling thoughts. It felt like an impossible task. They already had a solid plan, they had packed enough food for a week at least, and their surroundings were a blur of greens and browns. She couldn't even begin to guess where she was, aside from a forest of some kind.

All that was on her mind was Sonic, how he was holding her against his chest, how he had so easily joined her on this journey. She wondered why, why he had decided to help her when he could be doing so many other things. It definitely made her jump to the conclusion of some sort of emotion or feelings, but she didn't want to raise hope for herself, perhaps he was just being the nice hero he was, or he was distracting himself from other problems. Surely in the past few months he had moved on from his feelings too, especially with the way he acted back at HQ.

But, perhaps he was similar to her.

Perhaps, just like (Y/N), he had thought he had gotten past his emotions. But, with all this time they're spending together, they're rekindling lost longings and tying each other together.

No, it seemed far too cliché, too much like a movie or a love story. There's no way the two had felt and experienced the same things over the past few weeks. They'd gone by so fast after all. Sonic was probably sensing her weirdness and was trying to distance himself. That had to be it. Surely.

The (a/t)'s mind was finally distracted when Sonic came to an abrupt stop. They had only been running for a few minutes, but the city scape had been long gone. They were surrounded by a thick array of trees, lush green grass reaching for the small glimpses of light that tried to break through the leaves. The hedgehog placed her down and she took in the scenery.

Just beyond the wall of trees, the (a/t) picked up on a clearing, and she slowly stepped forward to it. Sonic threw his arm out in front of her, seeming alerted to her movement and she stopped abruptly. The hedgehog's reaction now had her on high alert as well, wondering what dangers lurked beyond the trees. She tried to get a better look at the clearing.