Chapter 15

Her mind never fully rested. Instead, she tossed and turned all night, unsure if it was the bumpy ground below her, or the thoughts that billowed through her mind. It was irritating her just how much she was being affected by her feelings. Six months had gone by with no problem, then suddenly she's sleeping in a forest with a socially inept wolf and an oblivious hedgehog. Why couldn't she just focus on the one thing she had been trying to do this whole time?

She woke feeling exhausted, her hair a complete mess from the constant moving around. Maybe she hadn't revisited the cliff when they went back to HQ, maybe that memory was too raw to have gone back. The (a/t) had felt like she needed to, but now she was regretting it. She just can't seem to let it go.

(Y/N) grunted to herself, whether from her sore body, or her frustration, her sleepiness made it unclear. She was so to finding and rescuing her family, the last thing she needed was to be distracted by a boy.

She stretched her arms, feeling her stiffened body attempt to relax as she let out a yawn. Sleeping outside wasn't exactly a hobby of hers. The (a/t) sighed at the discomfort and turned her attention to the figure next to her, Sonic still being very much asleep and snoring. The sun was barely peaking out through the trees, barely over the horizon. She watched him for a moment, the rise and fall of his chest, his ear twitching occasionally. He seemed so peaceful, she craved for that kind of peace.

(Y/N)'s ears lowered slightly, before turning her gaze away and back to the scenery, to the orange eyes that sat not too far from her. The (a/t) jumped, not expecting their wolf host to be up at this hour, sitting closer than she would like, staring at her. She realised she was gripping onto her sleeping bag, and doing her best to calm her startled nerves, releases the material and tries to flatten it out.

"Sorry." The wolf mumbled, her ear twitching, "You were talking in your sleep, so I waited for you to wake up."

"O-Oh uh... Sorry." (Y/N) said, taken back by the other's forwardness, "I uh, I have a lot on my mind."

"Of course, I can tell." Haven shifted, glancing over her shoulder and then back to the (a/t), "I find it better to talk about it, even if it's to no one."

The (a/t) blinked, wondering if Haven talked to herself a lot, what she might talk about, before she shook her head. Obviously, this wasn't about the wolf, but about herself, and though Haven was right, (Y/N) wasn't so sure she felt comfortable enough to talk about it with her. If that's what she was even implying.

"I agree, I probably need to talk about it but..." The (f/c) (a/t) held her arm now, "But, well, I barely know you and Sonic... He's... Kinda the cause of the problem..."

The wolf's ears perked in interest, and she moved closer. The (a/t) tried to shift back, but being so close to Sonic, she didn't want to disturb him, especially right now. Haven noticed her move back, and it was clear she got the hint. She moved back, giving (Y/N) her space,

"It's still good to talk about it, whether to Sonic, or just to yourself. Gets your thoughts in order." The wolf tapped her head, a distant gaze in her eyes. She went quiet for a moment, before seeming to snap out of a thought and focus her attention back on the (a/t), "I'm leaving for now, and won't be back until late."

(Y/N) gave a small smile, nodding towards their host, "Thank you."

Haven nodded back, before she grabbed her bow from her back and took off into the trees. The (a/t) watched as she disappeared, wondering what the hell just happened. She let out a sigh, glancing back at Sonic for a moment longer; wondering if she should talk to him or not; wondering where it would get them, if it would make it worse. What could go right? What could go wrong?