Chapter 6

(Y/N) still couldn't believe what had happened. She had come to this town, which she still didn't even know the name of, looking for her family, and in the end, she ended up fighting Metal Sonic, facing Dr. Eggman, and being saved by none other than Sonic the Hedgehog. Sure, her body was in excruciating pain, it hurt to breathe, to laugh or move, to do anything, but to have Sonic with her right now, when she felt so defeated and alone... It felt like a sign that things would be okay, that she would find her parents.

The two were making their way through the city, Sonic holding (Y/N) in his arms and doing his best to move in a way that didn't hurt her. The (a/t) appreciated him taking his time, it gave them ample time to catch up. They spoke of the past few months, what had, or hadn't happened while the two were away.

Sonic had been popping into every city he could, mostly to see how they were holding up, on the occasion needing to stop a swarm of Eggman's robots. There wasn't much else he was doing; he just didn't stay in one place for long. (Y/N) told him everything she had gotten up to as well, which also wasn't much. She summarised her past few months and the failure of finding her family, how she got her first tip to come here, and how everything went downhill the moment she arrived.

Sonic was impressed with her robot crab story, how Amy unknowingly saved her from being crushed, and how the girls banded together to destroy it. She then jumped to the old lady, and how it turned into Metal Sonic. She explained as much of the fight as she could remember, her arm wrapping around her ribs as she finished with being thrown out a window and saved.

The conversation came to a drizzling halt, the two knowing the rest of the story from there. Now that they had gotten the pleasantries out of the way, it just felt... Awkward. Well, for (Y/N) it felt awkward anyway. Sonic seemed to be fine around her, even after how they left things months ago, it was like nothing had happened. So, (Y/N) did her best to try and not give off an awkward vibe.

"So, aside from being very much distracted by robots, how is family hunting going?" Sonic asked, tilting his head to the (a/t).

"Take a guess." She said, turning her head to the ground.

Sonic glanced back at the building and blinked, "Oh, so he has them huh?"

(Y/N) nodded and let out a sigh, "Yep... I just... Don't know where. Eggman said they were being held up in one of his 'many' bases. I... I don't know what that means, but it sounds bad."

"Oh..." Sonic said, now seeming nervous, "Yeah... I know all about Eggman and his many bases. There's probably hundreds of them, possibly even thousands."

The (a/t)'s ears lowered, Sonic's words of knowledge making the end goal seem impossible. She just wants to reunite with her family, the war was meant to be over, she wasn't meant to keep fighting just to see them again. Was that really the weight of being a hero?

Sonic watched her for a moment, his ears lowered when he realised, he hadn't helped her feel better at all. The hedgehog felt bad and knew he had to try and make up for making it sound impossible. He turned his attention back to the city before a smile spread over his muzzle.

"You know, you're a long way from home." He said, "Luckily for you, I actually know a place where we could hunker down."

The (a/t)'s ears perked slightly, and she lifted her head up to him, "We? Why would you be staying?"

Sonic gave a shrug, his smile becoming a lop-sided smirk. His ear twitched and he tilted his head away slightly, explaining that he had finished his little 'escapade' around the world, that he had returned to the Resistance that afternoon, not long after Knuckles had left for this town, caught up with everyone else on the state of their hometown, before taking a stroll this way after hearing his other friends were here.