42 - Expressions.

“Are you sure you’re alright love?”

“Don’t w-worry about me, darl.”

That was an understatement—obviously. Aiden could only mumble something incoherent in frustration as he pulled on his hood over his face to disguise his nausea.

Elsa noticed how her boyfriend’s steps were slightly wobbling, as he pulled on two luggages simultaneously behind him. Landings always take their toll on him, according to her irregular observations.

The airport seemed busier than usual. Crowds either come or go in the Arrival Area, and the aroma of expresso probably coming from the nearby Starbucks tempted Elsa to fall in line for coffee, but her eagerness to see a certain four year old was in defiance to her wish.

She caught up with him, and she saw him extend his arm towards her direction only to wrap around her shoulder, pulling her near him eventually to maintain closure. His formerly hurried pace slowed down to a calm stroll, just so she won’t be pressured with how fast he was walking.

“What’s with the face grumpy pants?” Elsa teased, poking his cheek with a finger and a laugh. Even though her laughter only lasted briefly, Aiden’s queasy spirits were lifted without an effort. His dimples showed when he mastered a faint smile, “Just tired.”

Elsa couldn’t blame him, however. Liam had notified them that he won’t be joining them along the skies as he had extended his time in Milan to further enjoy his stay. They had to wake up before five in the morning to promptly pack their things because they were far too... busy the night before, and they had their breakfast during the early duration of their flight.

“Sleep more on the ride home, okay?”

“Will do,” He nodded with a yawn.

The blonde’s phone rung for a couple of seconds. Stuffing her hand in her pockets, a message from Anna was splayed out on the screen, just below the time.

“I think we should stop somewhere less cramped,” Elsa suggested, “They’re just having trouble finding a parking slot.”

“Sounds good to me,” Aiden stretched, recovering some of his energy, “Maybe the benches over there would do? Doesn’t have much people.”

Soon enough, the couple was situated next to each other patiently as they waited and sat. Bored as she was, she laid her head against his chest with a sigh, his cotton sleeved arms instinctively pushing her gently further to his embrace, whilst he kept an eye on their baggage.

“You’re just so cuddly, aren’t you?” Aiden moved to peck her cheek, only to meet her kiss instead once she tilted her face eagerly. “Warm hugs run in the family, I guess,” Elsa smiled against his lips. It really was a constant trademark of their bloodline, her mother—bless her soul—had once told her so when she was nine, as far as she could remember.

She played with the strings of his hoodie, pulling them in the process before loosening them once more in a lazy pattern. Pressing their foreheads together, she whispered, “You got to get used to it, you know.”

“Meaning?” he smirked.

“Meaning that I hope to be stuck with you for life someday.”

The established tone she spoke with earned his curiosity with what she meant. “How can you be so sure?” he wondered aloud.

“Of what?” she was perplexed a bit.

“That it’ll be me you’ll want to spend the rest of your life with,” Aiden bit his lip, “You can never know.”

“Aiden, trust me—”

The atmosphere between them changed. It grew much more intimate, as soon as the last word dribbled off the blonde’s tongue, and time lapsed slowly the more Aiden was drawn to the unwavering stare Elsa gave him. Sincerity was present in every spec of her beautiful expression, almost fooling him that she was merely imaginary that came to life to as a blurry illusion.

She was certain.

He was spellbound.

“I do.”

And for some blissful reason, Aiden was more than sure that this won’t be the last time he will hear those two words from her.

“Mama!”

Despite that sweet squeal echoing from many, many yards away, the grin breaking into Elsa’s face couldn’t be any greater. She stood up from where she sat, her arms spreading widely to catch the little girl racing past her younger sister and brother-in-law who could only relent to their niece's excitement from a short distance.

Alas, Elsa caught a very happy Claire in her arms contentedly, the four year old holding on to her as tight as she could muster as if her mother would disappear if she dared to let go.

Elsa couldn’t resist but cup her child’s face in her hands, her attention gathering solely on the little trails of tears that have made their way down Claire’s cheeks. She pulled her into a hug again, “Hey little darling. Don’t cry now. I’m home.”

Claire could only whimper. “P-please don’t go too far away again Mama.”

“I’ll bring you with me next time, I promise,” Elsa whispered assuredly, promptly scooping her into her arms up high, “Mama missed you real badly too. Think you can squeeze a smile in there for me pumpkin?”

The young mother felt the child give the weakest of nods as her head slumped down on her mother’s shoulder with a sob. “That’s my Claire-bear. Did you behave with Auntie Anna?”

“A-ahuh.”

“Good to know. Was she the one who did your hair today?”

Claire sniffled, “Yeah.”

“What’s your favorite color?”

“The entire rainbow.”

“What about your favorite food?” Elsa asked next, satisfied to see the little girl’s tears drying gradually.

The Question Technique was something she picked up on when she remembered how her parents would distract a bawling, six year old Anna since she had to take a vaccine back then (Thank heavens Dr. Stevens tolerated even a bit of screaming in his clinic) and when she tested it on Claire the first time she threw a tantrum, it worked like a charm. No doubt it would work at this juncture.

“Chocolate.”

“Okay. What about your favorite animal?”

“Butterflies. And bunnies. And cats.” Claire giggled.

“That right? What about your favorite flowers?”

“Sunflowers and roses, but I can’t decide which one I like more.”

“You feeling alright now sweetie?” Elsa hummed a Norwegian lullaby against her child’s hair, catching Aiden’s awed gaze from where he conversed fastidiously with Anna. She shot him a silly smile all the while she rocked Claire back and forth, “Mmmh-mmh.”

“Alright enough to go greet Aiden over there pumpkin?” Elsa offered with a knowing grin.

“Yes please,” Claire finally smiled.

Elsa chuckled and watched the younger girl wriggle away from her arms to greet the raven haired man who didn’t hesitate to engulf the squealing child in a friendly hug. “Why hello there little lady,” Aiden ruffled the girl’s hair, “I believe I owe you and Mister Carrots a tea party.”

“Five tea parties!” Claire laughed, raising up an open hand to gesture the number.

“Five indeed.”

“I watched you on the TV!”

“You did now, didn’t you,” Aiden mused in surprise, but the little girl wasn’t done speaking, “Were you the one who made those pretty dresses? Can you pretty-please make me one too?”

Aiden could only reply with a hidden smile of his own.

“I’ll make you one soon, kiddo—but when you wear it, you’ll be throwing flowers along the way.”

To be continued
on the next chapter...