53 - Stalemates (EP. 01)

Overcast boulevards usually doesn’t make Aiden feel like a lone wanderer—since there was hardly any other thrilling ride to become of comparison, unlike now—where the gliding snow was jiving the laughter echoing from the back seats, the raw aroma of expresso was mingling with their breaths and he willingly listened to what he could identify as yellow, or Queen’s blasting ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Loveexcept that the chanted chorus reminded him of the band’s concert in 1985. 

The engine revved, and the coming verse was nearly shrieked out of excitement when he decided to go a little bit faster to savor the definition of a classy, gentle monster vehicle, yet the thrill had to be short-lived because he wasn’t riding alone.

Not that he minded.

“Is it the song or she’s unusually excited for school today?”

Elsa chuckled, fingers occupied with adjusting the four-year-old’s hair bow, “Both?” She guessed playfully, although she could never know unless Claire tells. The little girl had been happy about seeing a cloud shaped like her Mr. Carrots, about the berries decorating her pancakes and how she learned to draw a proper giraffe yesterday, the next reason could just be anything.

“Well then, you like the tune, little darl?” Aiden played along, flashing the grinning child a wink through the rear view mirror.

Claire nodded; the vigorous movement of her head cutely involving her wagging lunchbox. Her grin is constantly plastered on her face, firm and unwavering, so his intuition told him that she must be ecstatic about something else.

He tilted the mirror to his right, capturing a limited sight of the blonde CEO who readily stared at him back with a lidded gaze. His breath got caught in his throat for a split second, a reaction only the grace of his fiancée could expel out of him. Aiden smiled softly.

“L’amour?”

Her blue orbs glistened upon his call, a gloved hand smoothing out her skirt all the while, “Oui?” and Elsa could tell he loved that, like she did, loved how casually she could respond to the pretty language and this was very much different but at the same time similar from where they’ve started—mere glimpses.

“Vous pouvez simplement vous asseoir et être si jolie.” You can just sit back and be so pretty.

Elsa rolled her eyes, quietly denying the warmth filling her cheeks, “F-flatteur.” Flatterer.

Claire perked up beside her in confusion, “What were those words you and Papa said, Mama?”

The older blond squeezed the girl close and giggled, “We were just speaking in French, sweetie. Because apparently, your Papa is legitimately, wholesomely half-French,” Elsa smirked, “Now I won’t have to test that theory.”

It was Aiden’s turn to blush and sink behind the wheel. “Also explains why mom forced me to take those online lessons. Those invisible R’s were a pain.”

“I feel you–but I still get a French hubby,” Elsa teased, “Dis-moi, mon amour, est-ce que tu fais aussi des bisous français?”

Her fiancé’s reddening cheeks brought more life to her smirk, signifying that he understood every syllable with chagrin. Aiden managed to utter, “I-i’m trying to drive here, snowflake.”

Ironically, he didn’t have to for long—it actually took a hefty blow from the horn of the Honda behind him to make him restore his road senses and ease his foot down on the acceleration again, and the stainless logo of the Apple Tree Academy welcomed another ongoing trail of patterned school buses and vehicles as he surged the car forward to the parking lot.