54 - Stalemates (EP. 02)

“Apologies that I had to show you this on a decent Monday morning.”

Elsa liked a little confusion every once in a while, since it pays to be prepared whenever the unknown is giving the impression that it’s too overwhelming for her to take. Though, she could never entirely savor the remains of that turmoil—not when the reason of her decreasing patience is splattered all over a sixty-inch Sony screen, being played on rewind, and is also shattering the tolerance that kept her from jabbing on the remote control.

Aiden probably knew the headline by heart now. His eyes have been repeatedly running through ‘Alleged Ex-Inamorata of Famous Oil Tycoon Pierre Storms Unveils a Child out of Wedlock’ as if they refused to believe the media can literally just stitch the most scandalous of adjectives together and create a big article bonus.

He bit his lip. The tension wildly airing the room was enough to make his capacity for panic shrink, and was also enough to make him hear the silence—the kettle boiling to its limit within Elsa’s skull.

Oh well, it was a decent Monday morning.

“A private event. The party was a damn thousands of buck private event, settled in an elite venue, and yet the press have somehow gotten to slip in and tape that?!” Elsa finally screeched.

Heine looked up from the Jensen chair he sat on around the corner, the gliding of the brush across his golden tresses ending on the edge of a smooth lock, “Hmm. Should have gone for a hundred then.”

The frigid glare the CEO sent towards the Executive Director’s direction only lit up a smirk to grace the other blond’s lips, “Playing dangerous today, are we?”

“Elsa, really, it’s fine,” Aiden weakly interposed. He rose up to his full height, and approached his fiancée with a gentle hand reaching for the red button on the remote, “At least it w-wouldn’t be a PR Nightmare to Arendelle Co, if I’m correct?”

Elsa frowned, brows knitting in worry. The stammer he expelled and the disheveled appearance of his hair barely agreed with his optimism. The audio of the television now clipped to a halt, she was glad she wore stilettos today, so craning her neck up wasn’t necessary to gently stare him down.

“Yes. Yes, it is hardly linked to us—but it is to you, Aiden. Think of yourself. It’s my turn to tell you that you deserve more than this, than how the world looks at who you are,” Elsa squeezed his hand, “I just want them to... Take a good look at you.”

His lips were next to her forehead, “What matters the most is that you’re looking at me right now.”

“I know,” Her grimace broke into a small smile, “But we have to do something. And I’ll be handling it.”

As soon as the last five words of her statement drifted off her mouth—at the corner of her eye—she saw Heine coolly pocket his brush behind his suit, his intent gaze meeting and enlightening hers whereas a cryptic twinkle gleamed with meaning.

Elsa made her shock vocal, “You handled it.”

“Pardon?” Heine smirked.

“You dug.”

Heine’s smug expression was trimmed into a humble grin. He shrugged, standing up and letting one of his feet twist playfully whilst he walked, “I’m afraid old habits die hard. Now that’s quite a riskier game, no?”

“With you, I’m pretty sure jeopardy is a joke in occasion,” Elsa gravely demanded, “Now that you’ve made things easier, Heine, please, talk.”

“Patience is a virtue, Elsa. The bronze,” He calmly spoke, “The silver, or the gold?”

“The... Gold?” Aiden hesitantly answered, recalling a similar code conversation Anna and Heine once had in front of them.