11 - Bullets.

Earlier he was Director Schmidt every employee looked up to, the big-shot man always wheedling his way to the front of the busy line by the custodian’s office whenever his own printer would often run out of ink, the only person who have the snobby board members melting like putty in his hands, but this moment, all gone was the brash Heine who is usually recognized as an array of dazzling smiles and expensive Burberry slacks, tonight he was Elsa’s most favored colleague. He was the man who didn’t need excess courage to approach and tap her on the shoulder that non-sober night.

The other valet aside Kai was happy enough to park his Mercedes Benz properly in front of a shiny red Kia, must be Laurant’s, Heine thought indifferently as he walked towards the superb doors leading to the entrance hall consisting of a sublime glass banistered staircase connecting to the second floor.

His eyes flickered to the Patek-Philippe clasped around his wrist, and it’s ten o’clock. After stealing a chance to glance at the elaborate Greek sculptures standing in front of limestone pillars, Heine listlessly left, winking slyly at the swooning maids as he strutted to where the dutiful butler skeptically paused his instructions for a servant to focus on him.

“Sir Schmidt,” Kai said, perplexed at his sudden arrival.

“Ah, dearest Kai,” Heine patted the shorter man’s shoulder, “Elsa has been expecting me, and if you would be so kind–?”

“Oh, I see. Please follow me.”

When they reached the door that smelled like pine, Kai was briefly dismissed. Heine stuffed a hand in his pocket and calmly twisted the cool knob.

“So,” Heine clicked his tongue, “Shall we get to it?”

Elsa could only nod silently, and she pulled up a seat before gesturing for Aiden and Heine to do so as well. Heine sat from across the couple, arms quietly folded against his thousand dollar tie.

“Pick up your phone.”

“Heine,” Her voice was silent, almost passing as a hiss. Her blue eyes darted upright sharply, “What?”

“You heard me. Dial the little assho–”

His superior’s steel glare directed at him came as a warning, so Heine cut his sentence short and smirked, calmly crossing his legs and twirling a long golden lock with a finger, “I’ll be frank, Elsa. You have to do what you have to do, and it’s a safe move, I assure you.”

“Easy for you to say. You’re not the one with the kidnapped child here,” Her voice broke and she was right, but Heine only nodded with lips holding no specific emotion.

“Fine then. I’ll do it for you–” He snatched it with unmatched speed, more than quick enough to avoid the incoming slap the back of his hand would receive, but he was already scrolling through her contacts, and so she finally seethed, “Schmidt, I swear–”

Ring.

The tension between the two blondes was exceedingly high, with Elsa at least. If Aiden wasn’t squeezing her hand she would have done something not likely to her personality. In fact, Aiden was actually surprised since this was the first time he saw Elsa with her brows furrowed, lips formed in an irritated frown and her fists were clenched. This was the first time he saw her so distressed—apart from earlier where he wanted to cease her worries but of course he couldn’t, no one could. It’s like a hurricane just happened and no one was recovering that easily.

Not until Claire is back in her arms.

“Pleasant to see that I’ve lured you in successfully.”

All their breaths hitched, Heine excluded.

His eyes gleamed in mischief for a second; and soon they were on blues and the hint of mischief wasn’t there anymore. Heine knew very well he was walking on thin ice, and Elsa knew that he does. He was just too much of a daredevil to make his advances into something much more... Preferable. Nonetheless, a part of her was grateful for Heine’s precarious ploy. He had done the job for her, like he always would as his duty as the cheeky Executive Director always striding around the building.

This time Heine allowed her to grab the iPhone into her own grip, and he sank back to his seat as he sipped from his wine glass. Aiden didn’t even see him serve himself a pour. He is honestly astounded with the Director’s behavior and maneuvers, and his incredible speed with his limbs. A possible misgiving arose that the man must have dealt with a similar situation quite often enough to shape him to what he is now, but Aiden shook his head, concluding how wrong of a moment it is right now to fawn over the subject.

“Where. Is she Davis?” Her teeth were gritted and Heine just finished his first glass.

She could feel him smirk through the phone, “Oh honey. You know what I want. I hate to admit it, but I didn’t want to involve your brat in your own mess, but isn’t that what you do best?”

Elsa refused to submit and growled lowly, she knew that it’s not entirely her fault this time. “Do you even think there could be a fool that can exist to marry you?”

“I know you’re not one. One of the reasons I want you to just slide the ring on your finger. Do tell me, how hard would that be?”

“I SAID WHERE IS SHE, DAVIS?!”

Her voice was primal, and mad; it even caused Aiden to flinch. Yet, she was provoked. Nails dug deep into the leather case, and pearl white teeth were shown as evidence of her visible anger. Tears prickled the corner of her eyes, and Aiden fought the urge to crush the phone there and now.

She heard him chuckle. “Easy, love. You’ll know soon enough—but if you really want to know, you can always ask me for a deal and I can already schedule our little... Transaction.”

She bit her lip in reluctance, a yes or no can still put things at stake. And if she took the high road...

She looked at Heine, allowing silence to reign over her and the one on the phone. She searched every inch of his eyes for help, and it only took a nod from her friend to know things are going according to how he has drafted for it to go.

“What kind of deal?”

“The parking lot under my building. Before 9 PM. No police. Or else your child’s head...”

Her blood boiled.

“Goes boom.”

Heine nodded again. Once, twice, Elsa counted his motions nervously with a stiff figure, and shutting her eyes tight, and soon she found her breath again.

“A-alright,” she rasped, and the next word that departed from her mouth came with the slightest hint of regret, “Deal.”

To be continued
on the next chapter...