45 - Midnight Roads.

“Mama? Where are we goin’?”

Claire’s smile was—unusually wider, as she poured out the question to her mother whilst amplifying how strong her curiosity was getting. The older blonde has been continuously dressing her in cozy layers for a good hour now, since it took half of it to go look for the little girl’s coat and uggs, which were buried somewhere in the depths of her wardrobe. Her elation only expanded when Elsa gently squeezed a hat around her daughter’s head, which could only secure the possibility of a midnight drive or maybe more.

“It’s a surprise; which Aiden only knows,” Elsa chuckled, just as bundled as the four year old, “He told me to especially bring you along. Does it feel warm now Claire-bear?” She bent down to the girl’s height once more, patting the furry cotton from the top of Claire’s hat as she helped her slip on her mittens and put on her earmuffs.

Claire hummed and nodded, another quirky grin adorning her face. Elsa simply thought the young, baby curve enhancing the child’s face was far too adorable to be left alone in peace. She could only bend down again to be able to smother Claire’s cheeks with kisses of awe, the sweet sound of laughter highlighting the little girl’s enthusiasm.

Managing between giggles, Claire finally breathed out, “M-mama, can we go now?”

“Okay, okay, miss adventurous,” Elsa teased, planting a tiny kiss on the little girl’s nose, “You’re just so pretty mama couldn’t resist but hold you close.”

Claire flashed her a toothy smile that made the oceanic blue of her eyes almost sparkle, “Mama looks pretty too. I look like you—so you’re very pretty too.”

Elsa would receive lots of compliments from any one, and in any second. And compliments were supposed to be genuine—which they are, not that she was saying the ones she gets aren’t, but generally, they are mostly involved with her beauty, as per usual. It wasn’t entirely what made her feel beautiful herself, but it is one of the many evidence that proved how much of a desired woman she is. Compliments do feel good—but they get dull in time. And frequency.

Yet hearing it from the blue-eyed little girl innocently shifting her weight around in excitement as of the moment, Elsa has never appreciated a compliment so much as she should have every time a soul declares it, but coming from Claire’s mouth—it just felt so special and it did make her feel truly pretty, without a hitch.

Because to look like her little girl—why, that was too much of an honor.

“You think so baby doll?” she bumped their noses softly, love evident in her eyes. Because Claire just simply deserved the world; thirty six packed Prisma Colors and ice cream involved.

Claire could only beam brightly.

“Mmh-mmh.”

•••

Aiden was at ease.

Well, almost. Almost, or maybe he wasn’t at all—or perhaps he just wanted to look like he was, but it was merely a facade tucking away the erratic pulses of his heart and he was trembling, the cold be damned, his growing apprehension was affecting his control over the situation and he couldn’t gain a grasp on how to make himself appear less nervous.

He buried his face into his hands; he was treating this night as if it was a mid-life crisis but at some point maybe it was—except that it was all regarding towards his decision and hers. Which mattered the most. She is the one who matters the most, for the rest of this night.

And forever to him.

Aiden didn’t like to think that he had won over Claire—it was about time he gave himself some credit that he really made himself accustomed to the child, and he was glad he was making improvements on how he acknowledged himself and his actions. He truly cares about the girl so much to see her frown would be so infectious to his mood as well.