8 - Definitions.

She began to know what love really meant the following weeks after.

Love was... Love was walking under an umbrella in the rain, hands locked tight together as he ensured that not one droplet from the sky stains the three thousand dollar blazer she always donned. He looked like a goof wanting the impossible back then, but she didn’t mind. She was happy. Because even through the smallest of things, he didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable.

She had learned, love is a shield.

Love meant asking each other’s favorite color, Elsa learned that when out of the blue Aiden asked the question, then soon other meticulous questions were replied and passed, it made her happy to know there was someone who actually wanted to know who she is, and not what she had and was capable of. It was refreshing.

She had learned, love was curious.

When Aiden had laughed at her in front of the clerk when he led her to his favorite Noodle House, Elsa didn’t get mad at all. She didn’t press a rebuttal about how she would have guessed the non-star restaurant doesn’t do luxury Black Credit Cards, because she was happy. Aiden didn’t mask his real emotions and responses, and it made her feel at ease that he wouldn’t lie. A challenging race game to be the one who pays the bill occurred right after, and of course Aiden made sure to claim victory.

She had learned, love doesn’t lie or fool.

When she gaped when her hair tie gave up on its job as she had just scooped the Ramen with chopsticks, red tinged her cheeks right away after she felt gentle fingers brush the tender tresses away to her comfort. She had to insist his own bowl would get cold if he cannot lift a chopstick up with his hands quite preoccupied with her hair.

She had learned, love was putting someone else’s comfort before yours.

She learned love was also joining him for a ride home, and if they’d be fortunate enough to arrive earlier before Helena could come back from running errands, she would find herself flopped down on the plush gray sofa in Aiden’s living room, cooked kernels sporadically meeting her taste buds as she leaned against his broad shoulder, watching the afternoon shows of 90’s soap operas she grew to be fond of while the sun peaked down and further down as hour after hour flew. Cuddling wasn’t a chaste kiss, nor was it some extravagant act, but Elsa was happy. Because as long as she was there, he was content.

She had learned, acts representing love take on many forms.

When Elsa found Aiden tending to the bed of fragrant blue daisies in his mother’s garden on a sunny day off when she decided to pay him a visit in a cozy afternoon, he looked up from his work and gave her a toothy smile before picking a single flower and offering it to her, which she gratefully accepted.

When they had a game of childish splashing around his recently trimmed lawn, of course the drenched outcome would be nothing but muddled. Aiden had playfully nestled her thrashing body in his arms and directed the sprinkling hose towards the side of her face, she finally knew what it felt like to be a harmless mess.

He gave her an oversized hoodie right after they both dried off, even told her she could keep it as he mentally called himself an idiot because she deserved way, way more. Elsa was happy to accept the thick clothing and ever since then, each pricey jacket she owned was neglected. Gerda had to insist on laundering it, not knowing that the CEO wouldn’t want the evident scent of her... boyfriend fading.

In those certain days she had learned that love offers what it can.

When they announced their rather flustered relationship to a hooting, ecstatic Claire, the four-year-old practically jumped into her dearest Aiden’s arms and gave him the warmest of hugs. Elsa had stood by the doorway with a still smile, and she learned the most important lesson of all. Love was no duty, nor was it supposed to be seen as an obligation.