12 - Strategies.

It’s time.

Elsa felt her lungs were being paralyzed as she stormed into the red Kia parked just outside the police station, a startled Aiden in tow when he heard the car door slam close alongside the hasty click of the seatbelt. The secretary took his place in the driver’s seat and fumbled with his car keys, trying to process in his mind what the hell was going on and what really was the plan, and sweet skies it’s 8:30 PM in the evening and there’s no turning back—

“I thought the police wouldn’t be involved in this?” He did his best to make his tone sound less interrogative. His concerns regarding what they’re about to face were growing amuck. What if the jerk sees the flashy red and blue lights? What if–

“They aren’t... For the most part,” The dazed CEO answered, almost out of breath as if she had just ran from a marathon, “I don’t know either, and I’m–I’m scared, Aiden. If I just don’t trust Heine’s brain then I wouldn’t know what to do myself.”

Warmth engulfed her trembling hand, and all Elsa’s intuitions were hushed. A kiss met her tear-streaked cheek and another palm caressed the side of her neck to soothe her down. “I know you feel like grasping around in the dark right now. I do too. But I assure you whatever we all have pieced up together everything will be okay.”

Sniffling, Aiden felt an affectionate squeeze around his hand and there he noticed her hand was now on top and not his. His meek eyes saw her head nod, and the vehicle finally rumbled making Elsa’s heart race.

The city lights seemed like they were flickering as the secretary in command of the wheel sped down the soaked roads, the evidence of the prior rain storm Elsa voluntarily ignored; she had to. Meter after meter the car traveled advertisement buildings, apartments, Starbucks and McDonald’s came into view, amidst the many droplets sliding down the car windows.

“Where is Heine?” Aiden broke the silence. The Executive Director’s whereabouts raised suspicion in him, that man always seemed to be off somewhere unorthodox, and he tends to show up in a very auspicious time.

Elsa, gaze not wavering away from the vivid streets murmured nervously, “He said he’ll follow after us.”

And so the silence ensued. Aiden did his best to not quake, or show any sign of his bubbling anxiety burrowed in his guts sending him the message that he’s practically going to witness something way worse than the nagging crash of empty bottles of alcohol and cracking knuckles for the first time in so many years. The dark thoughts clouded his mind—so he just drove faster.

Elsa felt like sinking in her seat when the car entered a hollowed descending driveway, her heart pounding. The Kia’s bright lights were the only source of light so Aiden could drive forward with a dry throat, and she bitterly thought how her rival couldn’t even afford to extend the usage of electricity in his building.

Or that itself was on purpose.

When she realized they had already parked in one place, she found her secretary’s piercing green eyes which reminded her of vast meadows locked on her own orbs. She did her best to try not to predict unpleasant outcomes, tried not to think of what her child’s captor could possibly do just to get what he wants, it only made her misery worse.

“Don’t come out yet,” Aiden, a little apprehensive, spoke, “Let me. I’ll allow you if the coast is clear.”

She shot him a weak smile in return, appreciating the way he takes her safety so seriously. Opening the door with a shudder, Aiden wrinkled his nose as soon as his nostrils were drowned in the potent odor of gasoline and tires. His head glanced left and right, the vague darkness filling his vision.