A Winter Story Part 26

No one could hold back tears when the Song and Park family escorted Song Sangkyung and Park Hara to their final resting. In fact, their bodies are already in closed coffin when they mourn. No one could see how the bodies of the two of them were in the coffin, it was certain that they were both in one big coffin. According to what Kyungju can hear, the two seem inseparable when the firefighters find them. Sangwook, who usually looks tough, even cries together with his wife. Kyungju was sobbing, holding back his tears that could burst when he imagined that he would not meet those two who were so nice to him. Kyungju also needs to hold back his tears because he doesn't want to make Yoonsung even sadder. Kyungju casts his gaze at Yoonsung beside him. But to Kyungju's surprise, Yoonsung didn't cry. He just looked blankly at the coffin of his parents that had entered the grave. Even when many people hugged him and talked to him, Yoonsung didn't make a sound at all. That's where Kyungju realized, he would never meet the old Yoonsung he knew anymore. Everything has changed.

***

Yoonsung and Kyungju squeeze in front of the school noticeboard. They were quite tall, but it was difficult enough to squeeze through the crowd of enthusiastic students. The first semester exam scores have come out. This grade means the first for Yoonsung, who is now in 7th grade, but quite many times for Kyungju who was in his final year of grade 9 before heading to high school.

"Right, as far as I remember the score came out around this date. Ouch these kids..."

Kyungju and Yoonsung try to get closer among the screaming children: there are shouts of joy and disappointment, some even cry.

"Excuse me, the Leader of Student Leadership Club is coming through!"

Kyungju's scream seemed like able to get the crowd to let him and Yoonsung through. Yoonsung can only shake his head at Kyungju's act.

"Come on, it's my last year, let me use my authority one last time. And I think my replacement will be you."

"Hopefully."

"You're also popular, don't worry... WAH! FIRST!"

Kyungju is already bouncing over the top of the board, and Yoonsung also finds Kyungju's name at number one on the list, with scores of 7 subjects tested in near perfect order: 93, 94, 91, 91, 92, 93 and 100. Yoonsung widened his eyes in disbelief at Kyungju's grade who, he really understood this cousin, only studied last night before the exam.

"Wow, it's you, Yoonsung! Rank 9! You know, this isn't bad! There are only 3 grade 7 students in the top ten! This is you, this!"

With enthusiasm, Kyungju put his index finger in 9th place: Song Yoonsung, who took the exam with 5 subjects, and his five grades were: 96, 94, 91, 91, and 95.

"Actually, our average score is the same: 93.4 and I only won 0.0 a few points over you. Wow, I'm very lucky," said Kyungju while stroking his chest, "you know Eomma will confiscate my laptop if I don't get into the top 5?"

"I heard that, and I thought that keun eomoni was just joking."

"No, she's serious, trust me. But by the way let's meet Soohee. She had to treat me because she was in 3rd place. You join, help me to eat."

There was no reason to refuse and couldn't run because Kyungju had embraced his shoulder. Yoonsung just complied with his cousin's wish.

***

Yoonsung rolled his eyes when he saw the crowd of girls near the school gate: it felt like he knew who was outside the school gates and that person couldn't get inside if the school wasn't open to the public. What made Yoonsung even more uncomfortable, the girls also gathered more and more and some pointed at him when he tried to pass. His body was tired after that swim and all he wanted now was a quiet nap at home. But it doesn't seem like his nap will calm because he was right: Kyungju is waiting for him at the school gate. Kyungju sits casually on the front hood of the sports car his father bought him just three months ago as a graduation gift (and graduated fourth place among all Korean high schools students). Kyungju waves happily at Yoonsung who can't help but walk up to him.

"Come on, I'll pick you up, we all go home."

"No class schedule, hyong?"

"It's over for today. And guess what, I have good news."

Kyungju embraced Yoonsung's shoulder and brought him closer.

"I already have my first girlfriend. Guess who she is."

Yoonsung knows, under these circumstances, it's better if he just put on a curious face and Kyungju will surely tell him without bothering to guess, because Kyungju's girlfriend can be anyone, or maybe even someone he doesn't know.

"Han, Eun, Rim!"

Yoonsung's heart stopped beating for a moment. Why, of all the names, must that name be heard?

"Why don't you react? She may be a little sluggish in thinking and too loud, but she's pretty, right? She confessed her feelings to me two days ago and after I thought, I also liked her quite a bit, so we are officially dating today," explained Kyungju long, looking happy.

That afternoon, Yoonsung couldn't sleep and he deleted all of his classmate Han Eunrim's photos from his cellphone...

***