A Winter Story Part 8

"Annyeonghaseyo, Palen-ssi."

The next day, it's not the figure of Kyungju that Valene, Andrew and Nancy meet in their hotel lobby (who is struggling with their suitcases), but the figure of an ahjussi who is roughly 50 years old with a half bald head and a mustache. His wrinkled face was as energetic as his rather tall and healthy body, who was wearing a very neat suit with a bow tie. If he didn't smile, Valene would think he was picked up by some gangster henchman.

"I am Kim Kiyoung, the secretary of Mr. Song Kyungju. I will accompany you and your friends today to move and get to know the Seodaemun-gu area which will be your residence later, if you are not tired, "explained Mr. Kim with a little slow Korean, maybe Kyungju has warned him he spoke to a foreigner whose Korean language is chaotic, "Mr. Song can't come today because he attended a very important meeting."

Valene was still half shocked that she didn't know what to answer so that there was an awkwardness between them. So her guess is right that this Kyungju must be some kind of CEO's son since he even has a secretary!

"I understand," Valene stuttered a little.

"This way please, Palen-ssi."

Mr. Kim led the way to the car that left Valene, Andrew and Nancy gloating: they were going into the limousine. Head slightly twitched, Valene walked in, followed by Nancy and Andrew.

"What happened? Who is this ahjussi and where is Kyungju?" Nancy asked, confused.

"He said Kyungju attended a meeting and this ahjussi was his secretary. He will accompany us today."

"Who is this Kyungju? I guess when you see him later, you should ask him, Valene."

Valene nodded and determined to ask him this directly. Once Valene knows the answer, she will scream out loud, perhaps the loudest scream that has ever come out of her mouth.

How? Is Mr. Kim accompanied you well today, noona?

After dinner that treated by Mr. Kim (who insists it's Kyungju's treat and he'll get fired if not treating them) and they head back to the apartment, and after a warm shower, Valene, who has just sat in bed, grabs her cellphone. Apparently there is a message came from Kyungju, around 8pm at that time.

He is very kind! And you treat us again.

Ah, don't think about it. Later I will ask for a treat from noona too.

Valene imagines Kyungju will ask for a treat at a world-class expensive restaurant, and Valene swallows her saliva hard. But never mind, Kyungju has been so nice to her, at worst, she just has to spend less on cosmetics.

Oh yes noona, I'm sorry I will be busy these days and I will still send Mr. Kim to accompany you.

Don't be like that, I feel bad for you and Mr. Kim.

You are guests in our country, it is a must for me to do that. And don't get me wrong. Mr. Kim, is not as weak as he looks. He is a swimming athlete in our company.

Well, he already called the company! What a great time to ask him, Valene asked herself.

Noona, I have to go again. Later I will call Noona again. Annyeong!

And Kyungju ends the message with a hand-waving emoticon that is different from the previous series of emojis, it seems that he is someone who collects a lot of the Kakao Talk's Emoji series.

"That can wait for another time, it's okay."

Valene lay down on the bed, and that night she had a sweet dream that she didn't remember clearly the next day.

***

Valene still didn't meet Kyungju's figure until the next morning. Suddenly the bell in their apartment rang and Valene thought maybe it was Mr. Kim will pick them up... or even Kyungju who may not be busy anymore. For some reason, Valene wants to see Kyungju's face again. But when the door was opened by Valene herself, it wasn't Kyungju who she met.

"Hello. I'm Song Yoonsung. "

It's the blonde angel! That was the first thought that came to Valene's mind before she corrected him as "Kyungju's cousin." Valene bows down together with Yoonsung.

"Annyeonghaseyo, I am Valene."

"I am Kyungju's cousin, Valene-ssi. Nice to meet you."

Yoonsung calls "Valene" very well, Valene suspects Yoonsung can speak English. And what happened to these two cousins? Did they eat bamboo as their snack or something, or did they drink too much banana milk because they looked the same height in front of Valene.

"Ah yes, Kyungju has mentioned you."

"I don't want to disturb your recess, I only want to tell you that I live on the 16th floor of this apartment, at number 169. If you need anything, please see me."

But Yoonsung speaks in very formal Korean, unlike Kyungju who, although still quite new as Valene's friend, already speaks in informal Korean. Does Kyungju not know good manners? Yoonsung is the one who understands manners.

"Ah, gomapseumnida," said Valene, bowing again.

"Have a nice day."

Yoonsung smiles, a smile as beautiful as Kyungju's and leaves Valene pensive. And apparently in the future, Valene will be in touch quite often with Yoonsung.

***