A Winter Story Part 6

"ARE YOU STUPID?"

Nancy gave her husband an irritated glance as one arm hugged Valene from the side. Those words were outrageous enough.

"ANDREW!"

Valene covered her face with her hands and she let out a small sob. She is crying right now.

"What else, Nancy? Are my words wrong? Isn't she stupid? How could she hand over our passports to someone she just met a day? She even doesn't know how to contact him by herself!"

"But according to Valene, he is not a fraud. He drives a luxury car and has an expensive cellphone," Nancy defended.

"Isn't there a con artist who is acting rich? One day has passed without a word from him and we will even be put on the black list forever from this country without our passports!"

"Andrew, according to Valene, he is a good man."

"How can she be sure? Besides, look at the fact, now our vacation plans are messed up! That's why I never wanted to come here from the start!"

"I... I'm sorry, Andrew..." Valene sobs.

"I wish everything could be forgiven with one 'sorry' word!"

Andrew go out and slammed the door of his room. According to Nancy, he will not go far, possibly spending all his time in the hotel entertainment room playing online games, since he doesn't have a passport and will not risk leaving the hotel at this time. Valene is very sad. She's really starting to think that Kyungju might trick her. As the proof, no one has contacted her until now. They will be kicked out of this hotel within 2 days, and they can't go anywhere without a passport like this.

"Andrew is right. I'm really stupid."

"Don't say that, Valene, don't lose hope yet."

"But what if Kyungju is a con artist?" Valene asked desperately.

Her fingers touch the scarf she is still wearing and forgot to return that, it belongs to Kyungju. Is it true... that her bad luck lasts until now?

"What is your instinct says?"

"My instinct told me... he wouldn't trick me."

"I guess you have to trust your instincts. After all, your instincts are usually reliable, right?"

Valene looked at Nancy with red eyes, "Really? I have to trust my instincts again?"

"Like you usually do right? Your instincts have almost always been right. After all, we still have 2 days. Let's pray a lot and don't stop hoping."

Valene wipes her tears, tries to stop her tears and hopes that Kyungju really isn't a con.

***

"This one has the cheapest rent rate here?"

"That was according to the ahjumma. Do you want to live here?"

Kyungju, who is examining an apartment with three main rooms: a living room with a simple sofa set and a dining table and a modest kitchen at the end of the room, and two adjoining bedrooms, grunts.

"Do you think what I'm going to do with my apartment in Gangnam?"

"So who is this apartment for?" asked Yoonsung confused.

"Do you still remember the bloody girl? The one with the nosebleed and the one that's so tiny?"

"Oh, the one we met in the afternoon, who fell into the snow?"

"Yes. I'm helping her."

Yoonsung frowned, "What happened? You know each other?"

"We met yesterday at Seodongtan station. In short, they had financial constraints and had to move from the hotel where they are currently living. It's a shame the ahjumma just got home today, so I can only ask for your help now."

"Which people are they?"

"Here."

Without saying much, Kyungju hands Yoonsung the three passports he always carries around in his small waist bag.

"Indonesia? Far enough, huh. Why would hyong want to help her?"

"Hmm... I think she's cute, that's all. You will laugh if I tell you how she tried to share story with me in Korean, English and body language at the same time."

"Why? Hyong didn't say you can speak English?" Yoonsung asked, frowning.

"No. I lied on purpose, because she's funny."

Yoonsung still frowned. Kyungju patted his cousin's shoulder.

"Tell Haraboji I ask permission to leave work earlier today because there is something important, and I borrowed Secretary Kim today. Gomawo, Yoonsung."

Yoonsung was still half amazed while staring at the back of his cousin who left the room. It was rare to see his fun-loving cousin busy himself with other people's problems that had nothing to do with him. What made Kyungju turn out this way? And it seems that Yoonsung himself will find the answer.

***