Chapter 31

[Like a game of cards]

3rd Person Pov:

"It's your turn to be the hunted, Werebeasts." announced (Y/N), her smirk backing up the tone in her voice. Sora then asked: "Well, you can't just approve of a game of this scale on your own authority, right? We can reschedule it. Just remember that since we're putting our Race Piece on the line, all of Imanity has the right to spectate, and we'll play as a team of five." "W-Wait!" tried Stephanie, to no avail. "That's not up for debate." added Sora. (Y/N) took the Race Piece in her hands, the challenging smirk still on her pink lips. Izuna stood up from her seat, saying: "I don't really know what's going on, please. Neither with this situation, nor that Imanitian. But Sora, Shiro, (Y/N), you three wanna fight, am I correct, please?" (Y/N) shook her head, saying: "No, not fight. Not at all." Shiro added: "Izuna-tan, let's play a game together next." "I won't lose, please." Sora and (Y/N) both said:" Sorry, but you will." at the same time. "The Blank never loses." said Shiro, smiling confidentially.

After the Imanitians and Jibril had left, Izuna turned towards her grandfather, asking: "That girl, what was happening with her, please?" Ino leaned back in his seat, deep in thoughts. After a short moment of silence, he said: "I've heard rumors of such a girl, rather, ability, existing once, but... that was 6'000 years ago. That ability should not have existed back then." Izuna's big eyes lit up in curiosity as she asked: "What's with her, please?" "The spirits around her are... You saw it, too, right?" She nodded her head quickly, looking over to the door where their visitors had just went through. Ino then sighed, pushing his glasses up, saying: "It could be that Flügel's doing, but I'm not sure why the spirits are doing that. Either way, we should keep an eye on her. She might become very dangerous." Izuna nodded once more, hearing the seriousness coming from Ino's voice.

(Y/N) Pov:

"What were you thinking?!" asked, no, yelled Steph. "Do you realize what you just did? How will you make up for it if we lose?" I sighed as I watched Shiro playing a game on the console. She was sitting on my lap, and I was sitting on Sora's. He said: "If we lose, it's over. What'd be left to make up for?" "Wha..." "If we lose, it's game over not only for us, but for the three million people. If we win, we get both territory and animal girls." "Sora~" I whined, gaining his attention. "You still want those animal girls that badly?" "Of course!" I pouted, then got an idea. I said: "But then you'll be super busy with patting them all day. You wouldn't have any time left for me... Maybe I should start working as an assistant for that old geezer. Or maybe as a maid." Sora immediately shook his head, saying: "Not happening!" I smirked a little, leaning closer to him. "But the animal girls-" He cut me off: "I'll always have time for you, (Y/N). Always. So don't go to that creepy old fart! He doesn't deserve you!" My smirk formed into a small smile as I kissed his cheek, saying: "That's all I wanted to hear, Sora." Shiro said: "Nii, (Y/N)'s playing you like a game of cards." "Th-That's-" He started, but couldn't find the right words. "It's really easy, too. Just like a game of cards." I admitted, showing her the victory-sign. He knew it was true, so he just sighed, pulling me into a hug. I was still smiling, approving of Shiro's words. Though, I would never trick Sora into anything dangerous. Not as long as I don't have to, that is. Steph, who was still standing next to us, said: "Y-You're out of your minds.", bringing the conversation back to its original topic. "Chill out, Steph. It's just a game." said Sora, smirking at her. "Then let me ask you, Dora-chan." started Jibril. "If my masters win, every Werebeast on the continent will be stripped of their rights and potentially killed. Who will take responsibility for that?" Steph gasped lightly, thinking about Jibril's words. "We no longer use wars to conquer and kill one another, but games. If you lose, you'll be exploited, enslaved, and killed. That's what the Ten Covenants boil down to. The resolve to risk your life and those of the masses, if only for a moment, in return for a chance to utterly crush your enemies..." Jibril kneeled down in front of us, finishing: "That is what makes a ruler grand."

"So we... So we could win, huh? I can't- I'm a goddamned hypocrite! I made him throw his life away! I send him to his death! I did it! I sacrificed him just so I could live a little while longer!" he yelled, throwing and destroying things in his room. "If this keeps going on... what's the point? Would I kill half the people for the sake of saving the other half?" He let himself fall to his knees, covering his head, asking: "When are we gonna be done with this...?" "~~~?" His head shot up at the sudden voice, looking into her (e/c) eyes. "(Y/N)...?"

My eyes widened. That... That's... What? Why does it... hurt? Why does it hurt to see that? I- "Huh? What're you on about?" asked Sora and Shiro at the same time, bringing me out of my thoughts. I pushed all of those thoughts away, concentrating on the ongoing conversation. "What?" asked Jibril and Steph. I sighed once again, asking: "You two still haven't realized it yet?" "The way to beat this world." said Shiro. The two girls in front of us tilted their heads, asking: "The way to beat this world?" Sora said: "Now I see. No wonder god's completely bored out of his mind." "Poor little Tet." added Shiro, keeping her eyes on her game. "Don't worry. We'll conquer the whole world, just like we said we would. We'll own every last bit of it." said Sora. I said: "As for what we'll do if we lose..." "There's no chance in hell that's going to happen." finished Sora, looking at the two in front of us. "Remember what we said?" Shiro answered that question for them: "'Checkmate'."