Chapter 26

Just a few words from me:

Some of you have been asking/wondering what those flashbacks are that I put in.

And some of you guessed right!

Those are the memories the reader has of the story to No Game No Life Zero, aka the 6th volume of the Light Novel series.

(Y/N), for this story, originally lived back when there was still war everywhere. I'll explain what happened and how she ended up in the time she is now later in this book, once we reach the part of the movie/6th volume.

As for the names, I won't tell them yet, but you can probably guess them, so... Yeah!

Anyways, thank you all so much for reading, voting, and commenting (I read all of them and you guys are awesome!!)

But let's continue this!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

[A reason]

Stephanie Pov:

I was laying on my bed, fiddling with the key in my hands. Tears were still in my eyes as I remembered what Grandfather told me.

"Grandfather, what's this key for?" "It's the key to a place where I keep something very dear to me." "I know about that! I heard men collect books they can't show to other people!" "No, I have a different key for those... Never mind that. Look here, this is a key of hope." "Hope?" "I'll give it to you someday." "Really?!" "Yes. When the day comes that you meet someone you trust enough to entrust both Elkia's and Imanity's future to, pass the key to them."

Grandfather... I clutched the key tightly. I could never give it to those people... Suddenly: "Do you have a minute?" I jumped up at the sudden appearance of Jibril, clutching my blanket. "Wh-What do you think you're doing?! This is MY room, you know?!" "I recommend you go back to the library immediately, Dora-chan." she said. I asked: "Huh? Why now?" She smiled at me, saying: "I believe that would be in my Masters' best interest, so I came here of my own accord. You may do as you like, though." "Wai-" With that, she vanished. I turned around, saying: "Y-You can't be serious! Why should I..." I laid down, covering my head with my blanket. After a few seconds, I threw it up, yelling: "Oh, darn it!"

(Y/N) Pov:

"Master, no matter how long you search, you will not find a way to justify the previous king's actions." stated Jibril. Sora said: "That's not what I'm doing. It just came to me that something's off." I stroked Shiro's hair as she slept next to me, breathing faintly. Jibril asked: "Wouldn't it be more accurate to say you found something for Dora-chan's sake?" "I-I was only going over the records so I won't repeat past mistakes when conquering the animal girl kingdom. Why'd the previous king challenge the Eastern Union eight times anyway? Doesn't strike me as something a sensible man who's responsible for three million lives would do." Sora pointed at the map, saying: "This is the region the previous king bet the first time." "Looks like an Armantite mine." noted Jibril. Sora added: "It's valuable metal, but Imanity lacks the technology to refine it properly, making it next to useless. The second bet. The third. The fourth. And... the eight." He pointed at every area that was bet. "The only thing of any value the late king lost is the palace wagered in the last bet. I can't help but think there's a reason." "Master?" Well, now that I think about it... Why eight times? Why not less, or more? Why did he bet all those things? Things that we couldn't use, which were practically useless to us. So... why? "Why's the Eastern Union erasing memories when it ends up slowing their growth? Why did Elvengarde try four times? Why did the previous king... No, wait!" My eyes widened. I looked at Sora, asking: "Did he stop after those eight times because he achieved his objective?" With that, Sora slammed his hands on the table, looking at every open book. I stood up, walking over to him. He said: "There's no proof, but what if the previous king didn't lose his memories after all?" "Masters, I'm sorry to say this, but not all Imanitians necessarily put as much thought into their actions as you do." said Jibril. Sora said: "But there are a few who do. Most of them end up being misunderstood, though. It's my duty to try and understand them. You can be honest with me. You want to know how I can believe in lesser beings like humans, right?" Sora put his 'I <3 Imanity' shirt back on, cutting Jibril off. "Oh, I didn't-" "The answer's simple, isn't it, (Y/N)?" I nodded, smiling at Jibril. I've spoken with Sora about this before. We do have the same opinion in this. We both said: "We don't believe in humanity to begin with." I stretched slightly, saying: "Every single one of us is super vulgar and totally stupid." Sora continued: "We're no exceptions. We're not worth a damn. That's just as true for our old world as it is for this one." Jibril's eyes widened. "But still..." I said: "We do believe in humanity's potential." Sora nodded, then gently stroked Shiro's head, saying: "She's the reason for me to think like that. And others like her are out there. She's one of the few blessed with the potential to outdo even God. The real deal- someone who turns hopes and dreams into reality. The first time I met Shiro... was on a day eight years ago. She was only three years old then, but guess what she said after hearing my name for the first time? 'You really are empty'. She saw past the smiling mask I put on in front of others, combined it with the literal meaning of my name, and formed a double meaning to insult me with. Genius, huh? She fascinated me. It was a breath of fresh air. There really were people like her! And... even though I knew she was beyond me, I wanted to be like her. You know, in our old world, humanity soars through the skies and reaches to the stars above." "That's difficult to fathom." noted Jibril. "Nobody, humanity included, thought it was possible. But someone managed to do it. They were the real deal. And it's the duty of us average people to help those misunderstood geniuses realize their potential. That's why we won't get anywhere until we start believing in people. People like the previous king." I smiled, saying: "As for me... I have the feeling that I met someone like that before. Someone that can make a change. And, for some reason, that reminds me a lot of you, Sora." He looked at me with a surprised expression as I continued: "As I met the two of you for the first time, I realized something. That I wasn't alive." "What... do you mean?" he asked. I sat down next to him, answering: "I wasn't alive. After THAT, I was a shell, merely walking around, trying to be alive. I forgot everything of my childhood, every person I once knew. But... something was always on my mind. A few, simple words. Words that I forgot the meaning of: 'Stay alive. Not only for yourself, but for me, too.' Even though they seemed meaningless at first, as I played alongside you, I, for some reason, remembered what they meant." I put my head on Sora's shoulder, saying: "That there was someone that has, or at least had, hope in me, a weak, stupid Imanitian. And that's why I... have faith in humanity, too." I closed my eyes, feeling the warmth of an arm around me. "Well said." said Sora, kissing my forehead. I smiled as I let sleep engulf me.

Sora Pov:

As I was sure that (Y/N) fell asleep, I looked at Jibril, then said: "And (Y/N) right here... She's another reason for me to continue." Jibril only smiled at my statement, then used magic to create a light which would help me read a few books. I heard footsteps, then turned my head. To my surprise, Steph was standing there. She said: "There's something I want to give you."