CHAPTER 56: JUST ONE DAY

I was already dressed up when Minhyuk arrived at our house. Mom was the one who answered the door for him. They exchanged greetings and good mornings while Dad, who arrived the same day me and my brothers went home from uni, just gave him an acknowledging nod and a smile when they locked eyes.

"Mr. Choi, you're done with your work for the year?." Minhyuk asked.

"Yes," Dad answered, "Sit here." He tapped the space beside him on the couch. "I'll talk to you first."

"Dad." I called him out, feeling nervous of what he's planning to say to Minhyuk.

Dad waved me off. "I'll just talk to the guy before you head out. Go talk to your mom in the kitchen."

Begrudgingly, I followed dad's orders and talked to mom. Ever since the news about Minhyuk being the son of the late Rain, mom's been... distant from my boyfriend. She smiles at him, yes, but she wasn't like she's used to being with him - no more asking him how his day was when he visits, no more asking about his work etcetera. I don't know if Minhyuk noticed though.

"You know what they're talking about, mom?" I asked her. Mom shrugged nonchalantly, eating her strawberries that Taehyung delivered here yesterday. "Really, mom?"

"It's a guy thing, I guess." Mom answered. "Minhyuk's your first boyfriend. Your dad's probably giving him fatherly advice or something."

I took a strawberry from the bowl. "And you're not giving me one?"

Mom turned to me and said, "The only advice I can give you is to follow your head over your heart."

"That's it?" I frowned. "Not even an explanation, mom?"

"You know what we've been through, honey." Mom said and held my cheek gently. "If you think he's not the one for you - if your heart says yes, but your mind says no - then end the relationship quickly."

I stared at her in disbelief. "You think Minhyuk's not the one for me, don't you?"

"You shouldn't ask me questions like that, especially when you're afraid of what I'd answer."

"Mom, just tell me-"

"Listening to your heart is a decision that will more likely hurt you than not, that's all I could say for now." she said. "Whatever decision the two of you do, we'll still support it."

"Jisoo! Your date's waiting!" Dad yelled from the living room.

I clenched my jaw. "I'll see you later then, mom."

Minhyuk greeted me with a wide smile on his face as he showed me the car keys that looked like dad's. "He let me borrow his car."

Faking a smile, I held his hand. "He better not see any scratch on it when we get back."

The ride to that place we were having our date was just us singing songs the radio was currently playing. I tried forgetting what mom just said or whatever dad might have said to Minhyuk by singing at the top of my lungs, with my boyfriend doing it too.

"If your fans recognize you and you're with me, I'll pretend that I'm a fan too and go. Just meet me back here in the car." I said when we arrived near the alley.

Minhyuk looked at me. "Okay, but I'm sure this disguise will cover me enough. And Jennie said the place isn't that famous right now so I guess there won't be a lot of people there."

"It's better that we're ready. We don't know what could happen." I held out my hand. "I'll keep the keys in case that happens." Feeling defeated, Minhyuk gave me the keys when we got out of the car.