CHAPTER 15: YOU NEVER WALK ALONE

10th grade was about to end in a month. Besides the birthdays of my friends, and the junior and senior prom of the four boys in our circle, nothing really much happened from January to the first week of May.

On a Thursday night, however, something happened.

It's our midterms week so I was left cramming inside the study alone. I was just about to study Social Studies when I couldn't find my book in my bag. I groaned as I realized that I must have left it on top of my desk when we left the room after class.

It was already quarter to 1 in the morning, school's almost half an hour away but I guess in this time of the night, the transportation wouldn't be that long. If I go there now, I might just get enough sleep before the exam starts. During examination week, our schedule starts from 10 am to 5 pm.

"Ok, I'll go." I said to myself as I stood up. I quietly went to my room and took my wallet from my bag, and my jacket inside my closet. I was already outside our gate when my phone rang.

The caller ID stated Taehyung.

Great. He's not yet asleep either.

"What?" I asked when I answered his call.

I heard him snicker. "I was just checking the odds of you still being awake studying. I never thought you'd answer."

Although I wanted to talk to him more, now was really not the time to flirt with my best friend. "Tae, I don't have time for this." 

"Why?" he asked, "Are you getting stressed from studying?"

"I need to go back to school. I left my book in social studies. You know how Mrs. Kang always gets her questions from the book." I rolled my eyes, quite annoyed that my notes from the class aren't enough to pass her exams.

"Wait for me. I'll fetch you there," he said quickly, "Wait inside your house, Soo. Call you in a while. Just wait."

I was about to protest when Taehyung suddenly ended the call. Although confused, I went back inside our gate and closed it behind me quietly so as not to wake mom or brothers up. After half an hour, the Kim's SUV was already outside our gate.

Taehyung opened the door for me and let me inside. "Why did you forget that book?!"

"How would someone know how she forgot something?" I asked him in disbelief.

"Right, of course. Just.. hop in."

We sat in the middle row while Mr. Ko was the driver. "I'm so sorry Taehyung woke you up, Mr. Ko. You should have just let him sleep again."

Mr. Ko glanced at me and gave me a tired smile. "It's alright, Ms. Jisoo. It's my job to take care of Taehyung, and his friends as well."

"Still, I'm sorry." I bowed once then glared at the boy beside me. "You really didn't have to come with me."

"It's dark, Jisoo. There are men out there who are still loitering around! Not all men are like me or Mr. Ko, you know?" He said, his chest out as he acts like he's really a tough man.

"Yeah, like you could protect me..." I muttered under my breath.

He leaned closer to me, his face right next to mine. "What was that?"

I immediately widened the space between us by moving closer to the door. That sudden closeness made me feel jumpy. "Nothing."

"Taehyung ah, don't just sit closer to Ms. Jisoo like that." Mr. Ko said, looking at us from the mirror.

Taehyung grunted and crossed his arms over his cheat but kept quiet nonetheless.

It was exactly 1:05 in the morning when we arrived  outside the school gate. Mr. Ko said he'd wait for us in the car. I already got out of the car when Taehyung took something from the front seat. "Why did you bring a bag?"