Goodbye

I let go of Stefan and threw myself into Kais arms. Caroline got up and ran into Stefans arms. The room was silent, all I heard were our hearts beating.

***

It was the next day. Everyone was asleep in the living room while I was silently trying to help Damon with Liz and her eulogy. Caroline walked in and I stayed quiet.

"Sorry, just... water." Caroline said walking to the sink.

"Help yourself." Damon said, going back to his paper with nothing on it.

"So what are you not writing?" She asked filling her glass cup.

"Would you believe your mother trusted me to eulogize her?" He asked.

"Thats... nice, I guess." She responded, taking a sip.

"I think she was trying to teach me a lesson about my own mom. I was supposed to do the eulogy at her funeral and I-" She cut him off.

"We dont have to share."

"Right." He said tapping his foot a few times.

"I just mean... today is pretty much going to be the worst day of my life. I'm not sure that I'd need to start it off by bonding with you, no offense."

"None taken."

"Great. Thanks for the water." She replied walking towards the door.

"Hey Blondie, today isnt the worst day of your life. Today and tomorrow, it's a cake walk. They'll be people around you day in and day out, like they're afraid to leave you alone. The worst day? That's next week. When theres nothing but quiet, just a heads up."

"Appreciate the tip." She said and walked out. Damon turned back towards me across the table and looked back down at his paper.

"I tried to help." He mumbled.

"I know. I know you did, Damon." I said as I got up and sat next to him, hugging him.

***

The next morning Caroline had us in the living room.

"Ok everyone! We have a lot to do today, things that should be taking 5 days in 1. So let's get move on it. Elena and Carter, you are coming with me."

"Great! Where we going?" Elena asked.

"Casket shopping!" She said and I nodded. They started walking to the door and I kissed Kai.

"Just stay here today, please. Maybe think of names? I dont have any at all. So itd be good if you stayed here, relaxed for a day. I'll be perfectly fine, I love you." I whispered in his ear.

"I love you." He said as I walked towards the girls.

We got to the place and picked one. It was very quiet between us but I feel like it was nice for her to have company.

The whole day was honestly a huge blur. Somehow we were already at the funeral and it feels like I just listened to Damon help Caroline. A bunch of police came in and called for Liz Forbes one last time. I started to cry, I mean from when I would see her she was amazing. The mom I never got to have, as amazing as Lexi was when she was around. Kai held me and I dug my head into his chest.

I heard Damon walk up there and start his speech.

"Liz Forbes was my friend. In her last moments she asked me to pass along a message to her daughter. But I cut her off before she could say too much. Told her she could tell Caroline herself. But she didn't get that chance, your mom wanted you to know how proud of you she was. And she should be. You're a beautiful strong woman, a generous friend and a bright light in a sea of darkness. She said you were extraordinary. And you are. And so was she. Liz was a hero to this town, she was a hero to all of you. And she was a hero to me. Good bye sheriff, you will be missed." Damon said and stepped off the podium.