Broken

Even though every inch of my body was yelling at me to turn it off, I didnt. I couldn't. Not for the babies, not for myself, not even for Malachai. But for everyone else around me who would have to deal with my annoying, pregnant, petty ass.

I laid in bed often. Damon would usually come in every morning and offer me blood and food because he knew I wouldn't go out of my way to do it myself.

This morning he came in later then normal, which worried me but I stayed in bed. I started reading a book and he came in right as I opened it.

"Your late. What's wrong? Did something bad happen?" I asked as he came in.

"Well we've got Mother out and Stefan turned his humanity. Hes pretending that it's off and we have them locked up in a hotel out of town. Today we are going to give her a card her mother wrote. Then if that doesnt work, I have no idea what I'll do." He said handing me a bag of blood, I slowly sipped from it.

"How are you. You've been doing this for two weeks. Carter, I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine. I'm just listening to their hearts, feeling them move. I've been reading a lot and I'm trying to stay off my phone and social media. I've been listening to music lately, mainly the things I listened to in 1994 with Malachai. When he taught me how to read and how to do everything I had forgotten to do." I said and my voice started to get shaky and my eyes filled with water. He grabbed me and hugged me, I balled a chunk of his shirt up in my fist.

"Its hard, Damon. Not seeing his face every morning when I wake up. Not listening to his heart or hearing him breath. Not hearing his voice, not waking up in his arms like I have for years. Some days I just dont want to do it anymore, I just want to turn it off so I dont have to deal with missing him. But I know I cant." I said weakly into his shirt, he had his hand on my hair and softly stroked it.

"We are trying to get him back. Things will get better, Carter. They have to." I nodded and sniffled and I pulled away from him.

"How can I help?" I asked wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"You want to help?" He asked.

"I have to do something. Maybe if I do something it will help me get through this."

"Well, we dont need help with anything... but you could come with."

"Yeah... ok."

He held my arm around his the whole time. And we went to where Stefan and Caroline were. I peaked in the little window door they had and they both looked at me. Stefans face lit up for a second then went back to his depressing and acting self. Caroline looked surprised but then groaned at me.

"Why did you bring the pregnant sad lady." She said and I looked at Damon.

"Well it's good to know everyone knows now." I said with a scoff.

"Yeah... me and Elena were talking about it yesterday, they must've heard. Anyway! Caroline, mommy dearest wrote a letter for you. Open it." He said sliding it under the door. Stefan walked over to pick it up because Caroline just sat there. Stefan walked over to Caroline and she looked up at him.

"Well? What are you standing there for. Burn it." The words came out of her mouth so smoothly it shocked me.

"What?" He asked shocked.

"I said, burn it." She demanded standing uo and walking towards him.

"But what if you turn it back on, wont you want to read it?" He asked.

"Why the hell do you care so much?" She asked ripping the envelope in half and putting it on the ash tray. She lit a match and tossed it in the envelope.