「0.5」Prologue

01/14/21

Ray pulled me into a dark room, and shut the door behind us

Ray pulled me into a dark room, and shut the door behind us. He locked it.

I took several steps back, until I was up against a wall.

"R-Ray what's going on..?" I question, tracking the dark figure with my eyes.

Silence. No reply.

Despite the darkness, I saw an even darker figure walk toward me, the footsteps echoing throughout the small room.

"Ray? What's this about?" I ask again, but still no answer.

He stops right in front of me, and all I can do is look up at him.

I'm scared, I never thought I could be scared of Ray. But this moment is proving my past feelings to be false.

"If it's nothing then I'll just go..." I begin to walk around him and head to the door, but a pair of arms stop me from moving in any direction.

I shift my eyes to the left, then to the right. Ray's hands are pressed up against the wall, beside my head.

"R-Ray what the..."

I hear his breathing pick up its pace, but also becoming shaky. His shallow breathing, it lets me know that he's nervous. But why?

"(Y/n) I need to talk to you about something serious, so I can't have you walking away from me now." He finally speaks, trying to prevent his voice from sounding too shaky.

I lock eyes with him, and nod.

"Okay." I whisper.

He stays silent for a brief moment, and breaks the silence.

"This is a farm. We are all being raised to be eaten one day. I know this sounds absurd but listen-" He stops talking and notices the tears running down my face.

"H-how long...have you known...this Ray?" I struggle to to slip the words out between sobs.

"For as long as I can remember. Ever since I was first brought here."

I wrap my arms around him, sobbing into his chest.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? Does this mean that you watched our siblings walk unknowingly to their deaths, and you couldn't do anything? You must have suffered all this time...I'm sorry I didn't notice it." I apologize, holding back tears to let my sentences escape my mouth.

The taller boy removes his hands from the wall and wraps his arms around my small body.

"It's not your fault (Y/n), besides, if I told you I'd put you at risk of getting shipped out. I don't want that, not at all." He says, tears forming in his eyes.

"Even so, you shouldn't have had to know that truth all by yourself. It's too brutal for someone so young to know."

I squeeze him tighter, and he pulls me closer to him.

"(Y/n), let's escape this hell. Together, with Emma and Norman. Let's lead the lives we want." Ray unwraps his arms from around me and hold my shoulders firmly.

Our eyes had adjusted to the darkness, so I was able to see the determined expression on his face, and it made me feel something. If I were to describe it, it felt like a million butterflies flying around in the pit of my stomach.

"Let's create our own future. One that we can be proud of. Together, Ray."

Ray nods, letting go of my shoulders. We walk out of the dark room and head back outside to hand out under the tree that Ray usually finds himself sitting under.

During that time, we discussed how we would "indirectly" tell Norman and Emma the truth of this house.

This marks the beginning of our escape, and the beginning of the future we'll build for ourselves.

Spicy first chapter, sorry lol~