「4」Change of Plans

1/20/21

I keep on thinking about Ray's dream, and that phrase he told me about

I keep on thinking about Ray's dream, and that phrase he told me about. What kind of dream reminds you of the harsh reality? I'm not too sure what kind, but this incident is clearly affecting Ray.

I've read in a book that there is a drug made up of one of the flowers that grow around here, and it has a very unsettling effect.

It causes you to have difficulty sleeping.

It doesn't really fit with Ray's case, but in a way it does. He has difficulty sleeping all of a sudden, but the drug doesn't produce dreams such as the one he had.

"Perhaps the recipe was altered..?" The thought escapes my head, and Emma heard my words.

"Recipe? (Y/n) what are you talking about?" She whispers to me.

"Crap I didn't mean to say that!" My thoughts slowly clouded my head as I stayed silent.

"(Y/n)...?"

"O-oh yeah? Um, it's just that Ray hasn't been feeling well and I think I know why. But some things don't fit." I started.

"But don't worry, we should really just sleep."

"Yeah..." Emma replies.

I take this opportunity to let Emma know that I've taken note of her strange behavior.

"Hey Emma, what happened at the Gate?"

She froze, and her breathing became sharp. Nonetheless, she put on a smile and answered with an obvious lie.

"Nothing happened! We just didn't make it to Conny in time, Norman and I are really bummed out about that..."

I want to ask her about Little Bunny, but, that might mess up the whole plan.

"Oh, I get it now. I was just worried, you didn't seem cheerful, and it made me feel nervous."

"Nervous?"

"You know how I feel when things play out differently. I freeze under pressure." I let out a soft chuckle, and Emma gives me one of her bright smiles.

"You're so insecure (Y/n) and I don't even know why! You're smart, kind, not to mention really cute!"

I could feel my cheeks heat up, compliments felt nice, especially when someone like Emma is complimenting you.

"Thanks Emma, you know how to cheer me up, huh?"

"Well I guess I've known you my entire life! Of course I'd know!"

She seems to have forgotten about my earlier questions, good. For now I need her to stay happy. I'm sorry Ray, but I have ideas that will help make this plan a little easier to execute.

"Emma, if there's anything you'd like to tell me, I'm always here, okay?"

She stays silent for a moment.

"Okay...thanks (Y/n)." She gives a sad smile before bidding me "goodnight."

After I was sure she Fel asleep, I crept out of my room and went to the library.

There, I studied the outside world, and wrote down my part of the plan for Ray to read. It was in the form of a letter, so that Mama wouldn't suspect anything.

Ray,

I know that you told me that you couldn't remember your dream from 2 nights ago, but I may have figured out why you had trouble sleeping that night. I spent some time in the library researching all possible causes for your condition. I found one that matched very closely with your description. Apparently, there's a drug made with dandelions and various other wild flowers that cause difficulty sleeping. It's a drug called "sweet nightmare."
It doesn't exactly match up with your condition because it doesn't mention the production of a dream, but I read into it a little more.
It said that in rare cases, sweet nightmare can produce dreams stemming from something out of your fantasies, then crushes it with something harsh enough to make you wake up. So there's that, and, I have an idea for the plan.
We need to make Emma and Norman comfortable with us. They're under a lot of pressure just trying to investigate, and they need an escape. If we want this to go off smoothly, we need to include ourselves now. We'll ask about the gate together, when Norman and Emma are present. We'll mention Little Bunny, and extract the truth.
I know this means the plan will be taking a slight turn, but that's the idea.
Mama is wary of the older children now. She knows someone went to the gate. It's only a matter of time before she identifies them. To avoid this, I'm counting on you to distract Mama. I know you can do it. I can provide help if you need it, though I'm not any good at acting. Mama might see through me, so no promises!
Maybe we'll be able to save the rest of them, which I hope will be the case.
I'm sorry that this letter was really long, I just want everyone else to think that you're reading a letter instead of a status report. You know where to find me!

Yours,

(Y/n)

I hope he gets my message.