「11」Progess is Evident

03/16/21

"Hey Phil! I brought the rice and scissors and stuff, did you get the socks?"

An overjoyed little Phil came running toward me and hugged my legs.

"(Y/n)! Are we making the rabbits now?!" His small blue eyes twinkled in anticipation.

"Mhm! Come on, let's go under Ray's tree."

We set up a sheet under the tree, and laid out all our materials in an organized fashion.

"Hm? So this is what you meant by rabbits." Ray realized.

"Yup! I didn't mean actual rabbits you dork." I smirked at him, reminding him about that outburst that seemed to have bothered him up until now.

Phil started filling up the socks with rice (uncooked lol, we're not burning anyone's nose hairs here) and tying the midsection up with ribbon.

After filling a couple socks with rice and slipping in pieces of papers briefly summarizing the information about the house that I've gathered, our rabbits were finished.

"Yay! (Y/n) look it's a happy rabbit family!" Phil exclaimed, holding up 3 rabbits in his tiny hands.

"Wow Phil! Yours looks so much better than mineeeee..." I whined, but I was happy to see a big grin on his face.

I didn't notice this, but a certain someone was smiling behind my back.

"Hey Ray! Do you want one of them?" Phil asked my bed headed friend.

"No it's fine Phil, you should keep them. They are adorable though, don't get me wrong."

Phil giggled, and thanked me once again. He then ran off to find Sherry and share the rabbits with her.

"Ah man, I wanted you to join too, emo boy."

Ray looked up at me, and didn't make any snarky or sarcastic comments. He just...stared at me.

"Ray..? Helloooo earth to Ray!"

Still nothing.

"RAY!"

"G-gah! What??" Ray broke out of his trance and was a little more jumpy than usual.

"Hey you good? You kind of stared at me and wouldn't respond."

"Oh sorry, I was thinking about something..."

It's not like him to just blank out and think about something. He's still aware about the world around him.

"What were you thinking of? Must be important if your stare went blank for a second."

He paused, and I noticed his cheeks start to flush.

"I-It's nothing."

Now he's stuttering, and now I'm even more curious.

"Let's just...talk by the river. That plan of yours, I want you to tell me every detail. And your thoughts, I want to know how you think."

Ray got up, dusted himself off, and began to walk to the river.

I followed not too far behind him, and listened to the silence between us.

Before I knew it, we were by the river and Ray stoped walking.

"Now, tell me."

He took a seat next to a rock, and I sat opposite to him.

"Be ready for a long rant then,"

"I am ready."

I inhaled, and cleared my mind to make sure I didn't reveal anything I wasn't supposed to.

"The plan mainly consists of an escape at night. Escaping during the day draws attention to us and provides time for the farm to pursue us with natural light. At night, when Mama is distracted, everyone will make their way to the side of the wall that I marked. There's no need to cause a big ruckus where our enemies will keep their eyes on this plant. At that point on the wall, I've hidden 10 tinkered ropes. Use those to climb. There's an instruction manual for the smaller children. This might sound crazy, but I've climbed the wall. There's a cliff."

A cold sweat trickled down Ray's face.

"A...cliff."

"I've chipped off some of the wall, so you can use those to climb down. Hear me out. There's a little rope I placed down there too. Use it to glide across. It sounds risky, but if you want to avoid detection, then you need to hide yourselves. We only have these white clothes, standing out in the dark is easy. I've chipped off the rock on the other side of the cliff. Climb up those holes and escape. Run as far away as possible."

"HAVE YOU EVEN CONSIDERED HOW DANGEROUS THIS IS?!" Ray yelled with visible anger escaping his body.

"Yes."

"SO WHY ESCAPE WHILE DOING SOMETHING THAT'S SO DANGEROUS FOR THE LITTLE ONES?!"

I smiled, a sinister smile.

"You don't think I haven't taken their safety into account? I'm offended Ray~"

"Nngh...what are you talking about."

"I'm talking about a hidden zip-line. Where the younger kids escape from. The older kids will escape in plain sight, while the younger ones escape in secret."

Ray calmed down, he looked hopeful. He thought that the plan wasn't worth throwing away. Escaping this place was a risk. No plan we could ever come up with guaranteed no risks.

"That might just work. How did you even climb that wall and not die?"

"Because I'm the protag- I mean, you know how much of a monkey I can be. I'll climb over anything, a wall or a cliff, for my family."

He smiled, with soft eyes he said:

"Thank you, (Y/n)."

Preview! The next chapter is going to explore just how (Y/n) thinks, this was requested by Ray himself (lol) Thanks for reading this chapter!

Thanks for reading this chapter!