「13」What I Love Most

4/06/21
Heyyyyy

A soft breeze blew by, and the twinkling of the stars filled the night sky

"It's pretty, and it's calm." I mutter while appreciating the beauty of nature. Although, I began to wonder if the outside world was just as pretty as this.

"Mhm, I wish I could see this more often." Ray admits while gazing at the sky.

In his eyes, I saw the reflection of the dark sky, and the twinkling of the stars. This sight, I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a beat. I'm not too sure if that's a good thing.

Ray looked more like a little kid, star struck by nature. Star struck...oh dang I didn't mean to make a pun, sorry!

I could see the undying youth in his eyes. No matter how mature or devoted he may seem, I know that Ray has a side that no one has ever seen.

The side of his wildest dreams and crazy ambitions. His childish nature. I was glad that I was the first to witness it.

"Do you like the stars Ray?" I asked as I reverted my gaze to my emo friend.

"Yeah. I think they're pretty cool, don't you?" He replied while keeping his eyes fixed on the sky.

I smiled and said, "I think so too."

We walked to the back of the forest in a comfortable silence, one that we both didn't dare to break.

"(Y/n)! Ray! Over here!" The enthusiastic voice of Emma called out to us. Only that, she didn't sound enthusiastic. Emma sounded...scared. She was masking just how she felt.

"We're gonna have to sell the act, and make them buy into it." Ray whispers briefly, to which I gave an affirmative nod.

We walked into the darkness, where the white clothes stood out. We saw two figures and walked to them.

"There's something important that we need to discuss." Norman began to explain.

"All of our siblings never got adopted. Since we've known you both our whole lives, I'm going to be straightforward. When we're twelve years old, we become food for demons."

"It's true, besides, Norman wouldn't make something like this up. Even if you don't believe us, we're gonna escape together with the rest of our family." Emma chirped while holding onto a sad smile.

I took a short glance at Ray and saw his eyes soften for a short moment.

"Demon food...hmm" Ray muttered incoherently. Luckily I picked up on his words.

"Hey that's not good for us is it?" I questioned in an innocent tone.

In return for my obvious question, I received bewildered stares.

"U-uh sorry...that probably wasn't the best thing to ask." My cheeks flushed red at the embarrassment.

A moment later, Emma bursted out laughing. Followed by Norman, and a small chuckle from Ray.

"(Y/n) you're funny sometimes! I think we needed to laugh, it's been a tough few days." Emma says as her laughter dies down.

"I agree, all we've been doing is worrying. So thank you for making us laugh, we appreciate it." Norman smiled.

"You asked an obvious question dork, I'm sure you already knew the answer. So why ask?" Ray took his hands out of his pocket in that moment.

"I felt like I had to say something, even if it was plain obvious or stupid. I didn't want things to get awkward."

Emma and Norman laughed even harder, which kind of confused me. Maybe my response was a little absurd?

"This wasn't how I pictured this to pan out." I admit with a confused expression.

"No kidding." Ray says in agreement.

Meanwhile, Emma and Norman continue to laugh until exhaustion caught up to them.

"We're going to bed now, good night!"

And with that, they left Ray and I alone in the dark, underneath the moon's bright rays.

"I'm gonna turn in, are you staying out here for a while?" Ray asks me as he yawns.

"Mm..I'll go to bed in a bit."

He nods and walks toward the house.

Here I am now, alone in the dark, underneath the moon.

So many things have happened in the past year. A plan to save everyone, experiments, gathering data, all for this moment. He was with me throughout my whole life, never leaving my side. Since that event last year, we've been closer than ever since we then became partners in crime.

I unconsciously smile at the thought of Ray staying by my side. It made me feel happy. He may seem like the blunt type, but he has a kind heart. That's something I love most about him.

 That's something I love most about him