「10」She's Watching

03/16/21

The bells of Grace Field rung, and the sound filled the air once again

"(Y/N) WE DIDN'T MAKE THE BUNNIES YESTERDAYYYY!" Phil whined, flailing his arms all over the place.

Oh. Right. I forgot about that.

"AHHH I'M SORRY PHIL LET'S MAKE A BUNCH LATER 'KAY?" I felt horrible for forgetting, so naturally I was determined to fulfill my promise.

"Oi, (Y/n). Get up. We're in charge of breakfast remember?"

"Ughhhh fine I'm up." It was hard to prepare breakfast when everyone had their own preferences.

"What should we make today? I kinda want to make soup!" I exclaimed gleefully. Man do I love soup.

"Soup? You know we can't just have soup." Ray sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Well I mean yeah, but the soup can be a side dish or whatever!"

Eventually, he gave up and sighed.

"We still need to talk about yesterday. I want to understand the way you're thinking."

I froze on the spot. Butterflies began to swarm my mind.

"The way I think huh..that's interesting." I muttered while my eyes were glued to the ground.

"Why do you want to know how I think. What makes any of that so interesting to you?

There was a short silence before Ray spoke up.

"Because, well..." he paused, as if he stopped himself from saying whatever was about to come next.

"Never mind. It doesn't matter." With that, he left me in the hall by myself.

"What was that about, he looked like he was about to be honesttttt...." I whined, I was pretty annoyed at Ray's actions.

"Damn emo, the one time you decide to be honest with your thoughts!"

I chased him down the hallway and met up with him in the kitchen.

...

"Thank you for the food!"

"Oh wow this is good!"

"Mm the soup is tasty!"

"OW MY TONGUE"

After hearing a good amount of our siblings compliment the soup, I made the most sly grin at Ray.

"Guess my soup is good huh?

He sighed and rolled his eyes at me.

"Yeah, it's pretty good."

I smiled knowing that a compliment from Ray was as rare as resuming a dream. I must admit, it was nice to know that I was complimented by someone least likely to compliment genuinely.

"So, we need a strategy meeting because Mama is suspecting me the most and I really don't want her to spoil the plans." I spoke in a low whisper, making sure Mama wasn't looking out way.

"Sounds good, but aren't you gonna hang out with Phil? Time might be limited so we also need to think of a way to pass notes to each other without drawing attention."

"Hmm yeah..."

We both sat in silence as multiple ideas rushed through our heads. Then, the million dollar idea hit me.

"The rabbits." I subconsciously muttered.

"Whoa what?! We're not stuffing rabbits with paper, that's cruel!" Ray exclaimed in an aggressive whisper.

I noticed Mama look over at us.

"Ray she's looking."

He froze and began to play it off as if nothing had happened.

"Ahh, why the heck do I have to be suspected...did I slip up?"

"You probably did if she's keeping a close eyes on you." Ray chirped, tapping his spoon against the table.

"I never told her that you knew about the truth, so she obviously figured it out somehow. So yeah, you did slip up."

I groaned, knowing how much of a pain working around Mama would be. She wasn't dumb, not at all. I feared that she would see through my act before "The Plan" got set into motion.

Nonetheless, I won't let something like that stop me from saving the people I hold dear to me. No way in hell.

 No way in hell