「Seasonal Chapter」A Christmas Story

12/24/21
Merry Crisis
Merry Chrysler
Happy Christmas
Vines <3

On a quaint snowy Christmas Eve, under an array of stars lies a town with all the residents in a peaceful slumber

On a quaint snowy Christmas Eve, under an array of stars lies a town with all the residents in a peaceful slumber. In a house on a hill, amidst the sleeping family a child awakens from a frightful dream.

The fearful cries of an infant echoes through the small house, eventually reaching the loving mother's ears.
—————

"Ah shoot, baby's crying again." I softly mutter as the cries creep into our shared bedroom.

Lately, our kid has been a little clingy to his father. For some reason, he tends to be happier when his dad is near him.

So ideally, he has to take care of this. Ideally. But he's curled up in bed next to me, refusing to get up.

"Ray, come on. Please?"

"Mmh..no....zz" He mutters before slipping back into his sleep.

I sighed heavily before removing the blankets on me and slip out of bed.

The hallway was pitch black, with a faint light leaking out of the baby's room.

"Hey hey, mommy's here." I say in a whisper, smiling to the crying baby boy.

"Oh? A nightmare huh..gotta get used to it kiddo." I started.
"Gotta deal with reality for the rest of your life, and that is scarier than any nightmare you can have."

He seemed to have found what I said to be funny, as his cheerful giggles took the place of his wailing earlier.

Now he was smiling at me, so I smiled back.

"You really take after your dad huh, your eyes are dark green just like his. So pretty, I'm glad you didn't get those genes from me."

I gently booped his nose.

"Otherwise you'd be pretty ugly, no offense or anything little man."

He giggled more than he did last time, maybe Ren likes my sense of humor?

"Ren Ren, do you think mommy is funny?" I ask with a hopefully tone and a big smile.

"Mm...nah!" Ren exclaims, giddily flailing his arms about.

"Wow, maybe he's the real deal." A deep, groggy voice spoke.

Ray walked into the baby's room, rubbing his eyes like he used to do when we were younger. He looked like a small child doing that.

"Now you get up, great." I say sarcastically as I hand Ren over to him.

"Heya Ren, momma didn't bully you did she?" Ray asks with a smirk on his face.

"Ya!"

"Did not."

Ren just smiled, his dark green eyes holding mystery and comfort, the same feelings that I always got when I looked into Ray's eyes.