「3」Strategy Meeting

01/19/21

A dark sky, illuminated by the glow of a billion stars

A dark sky, illuminated by the glow of a billion stars. This is the outside world. A beautiful place with lush green forests and crystal blue water. She grabs my hand.
"Ray, let's go over here!" And we walked over there.
"Ray let's rest over there." And we rested over there.
"Ray can you hold my hand?" And I held her hand.
The bright sun sheds its luminous rays onto us, bathing us in warmth.
The cool, gentle breeze shaking the leaves above us. The vivid green grass swaying in the wind, and flower petals sailing through the air.
"I wish we could stay like this forever."
Her small head rests on my shoulder, and the small child curled up on my lap.
"I wish, there was no end to this moment."

Sorry Ray, but this is all just a dream. This isn't reality. You're still on the farm, being prepared for harvest.

"GAH!" Ray shot up out of bed in a cold sweat.

He looked around, but no one was in the room.

"A dream..?" He thought, rubbing his head.

Those last words reminding him of the reality rung in his head as he slowly forgot about the hopeful dream he had just experienced.

"Whatever..." He mutters, removing himself from the bed and dragging his sleepy body downstairs.

"Morning Tsun Tsun! Sleep well?" I said from across the table.

"Morning..." He replied softly.

"I guess not..." I sorrowfully mutter.

"Alright children! Quiet down." Mama spoke.

"Let us be thankful that all 38 of you can live happy lives under this roof." She finishes her usual morning sentence. Only difference being "38."

"Thank you for the food!" We all say in unison.

I noticed that something was wrong with Ray. Did the plan take a turn? Is that why he looks so tired? From thinking about it all night? But that would mean he had to have seen the error, and I walked him to his room. I doubt he left after that.

Perhaps a dream?

"Ray is something wrong? You look out of it today." I question as I place my utensils on the table.

"No, it's nothing. Don't worry, it's not worth it." He mumbles as he moves his food around his plate.

"Can we at least talk after this? The meeting remember?"

"Oh yeah, forgot about that. Sorry...." He sets his fork down.

"No need Ray, you seem to have a rough night, I don't blame you."

"Thanks, (Y/n)." Ray flashes a small but genuine smile.

Emma, Norman, and a few of the younger kids were tasked with cleanup, so I took Ray to his spot under the tree outside.

"Was it a bad dream?" I ask.

"Mm...not really. I don't remember whatever I dreamt of at all." He says as he takes his seat.

"That's surprising, considering that you remember basically everything."

"Yeah, but I only remember that phrase at the end. It's playing in my head on loop, and I can't get it to stop."

"Which was..?"

" 'Sorry Ray, but this is all just a dream. This isn't reality. You're still on the farm, being prepared for harvest.' " He says, repeating the phrase just as it was first presented to him.

"Geez that's harsh..." I state, feeing horrible that he was reminded of that reality.

"Yeah, but it's the truth."

"Guess the truth really does hurt."

Ray replied with an "mhm" and we sat in silence, watching as everyone else played in the forest.

"So, strategy meeting." He started speaking.

"Now we just wait for Emma and Norman to plan their next move. They'll most likely let us in on their plan, once that happens we have to try to incorporate our escape method with theirs. Considering that our plan is pretty solid."

"Okay, so we wait. I've got a few things gathered, so I can start on the device for the trackers." Standing up, I dust off my skirt and lend a hand to Ray.

He grabs it and I help him up.

"Wait a little longer, Mama is already suspicious of some of the children. If she finds the device now, she'll ship you out."

"Ah, okay then. Just give me the go ahead when it's time then!" I let go of Ray's hand and smile.

He nods, and walks inside.

"I'll protect you no matter what, (Y/n). You won't be shipped out, you'll escape with everyone else."